1999 WR 400 Valve clearance?

1 reply to this topic
  • shiloblack

Posted May 07, 2009 - 06:04 PM

I need some help. I recently replaced my cam chain and I checked my valves for clearance. I found the Exhaust cam clearances to be .28 and the intakes around .15 except for the one on the far right, on the rear brake side. It read .07, I believe it is suppose to be .10-.15 for the intake cam. The shim was a 140, I replaced it with a 130, re-measured and it was still .07, this leaves me to believe the valve spring is higher or something is going on? Has anyone seen this or can they give me some tips? Its really frustrating because I want to get this thing up and running. Anyways, your help is greatly appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted May 08, 2009 - 04:57 AM

Definitely a measuring issue or you first jammed the .07 in there when in reality there wasn't ANY clearance....
The feeler should slip in with only a little friction.
After you replaced the shim with a 130, did you turn the crank a few times to make sure everything is seated correctly?
Also - it all has to be checked with the cams torqued down correctly - stay about 10 inch lbs lower than what the book recommends.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.