07 YZF 450 electrical issues

27 replies to this topic
  • LumpyBoy

Posted May 10, 2009 - 06:35 PM

Jim, the Turn -Tech batteries are Lithium IRON Phosphate, not Polymer Lithium ION (Li-Po) - BIG difference! Lithium Iron are very user friendly and can be charged with just about any standard charger like you say.

Got it. So I wonder what might make one better than the other, other than the fact that the Li-Iron are easy to deal with. Why not just go that route rather than Li-Po?

Glad to hear the Graves CDI wasn't fried!

• swatdoc

Posted May 11, 2009 - 12:13 AM

You mean rather than the NiMH? Well, besides being real familiar with the NiMH from racing rc cars, already having the correct charger for them, and due to the cells I'm gonna use being the latest high-tech ones on the market, I really think my pack is gonna turn out to be the same dimensions and weight as the 2.5ah Turn-Tech battery, but mine will have twice the capacity at 5ah. $30 cheaper too.

yea, that made my day when my bike started right up after putting back in the Graves CDI!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2009 - 07:55 AM

So I wonder what might make one better than the other, other than the fact that the Li-Iron are easy to deal with. Why not just go that route rather than Li-Po?

Polymer Li-Ion batteries have a significantly higher energy density than Li-Iron Phosphate is what it is, although the Li-Iron cells still produce a little more power than Ni-MH.

• TimmyBobby

Posted August 13, 2009 - 08:48 AM

Has anyone tried this with a seal lead acid battery? I have a bunch of 12v 5ah battery packs. They are not light but would carry in my pack just fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2009 - 09:09 AM

They are not light ...

Nor are they compact. That and the hazard from spilling are the downsides.

• gdbarr1976

Posted August 13, 2009 - 11:58 AM

So has everyone pretty much given up on the moose/electrex stators? Kinda sad really. For what its worth my wr conversion is still running strong. Hope that doesn't jinx it but lately I have been trying real hard to break it so I can fix any weak links. So far all good.

• jbehunin

Posted August 14, 2009 - 07:35 PM

there's a company that does rewinds to the stock stator called Lake and Trail - i know of one guy in hawaii that had his done by them and as far as i know has had no problems. you might talk about this with your customer. I have totally given up on Electrosport/Moose stators.

good to know!!!

• swatdoc

Posted August 14, 2009 - 11:23 PM

IXNAY on the Lake and Trail rewind - another member updated us on these and apparently they are no better than the Moose/Electrosport units

So far the only known reliable way is the WR conversion like Gdbarr did.

One member is running a unit from the UK, and it's doing OK so far, he just needs more time with the unit to determine reliability

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.