bike will not settle down to idle

28 replies to this topic
  • William1

Posted May 13, 2009 - 09:17 AM

Are not too many places to have a vacuum leak.
Bad manifold is about it. There is not vacuum port of an AIS or anything.
I'd prefer a vacuum leak too, less expensive to fix (LOL, unless it was the most porus cast head ever).

• pablo83

Posted May 13, 2009 - 11:02 AM

While searching unrelated topics I found a post about how easy it is to install the vac release plate upside down. I checked the carb and sure enough, I'm an idiot.

I don't know why the YZ carb would not settle to idle properly, but it is jetted completely different and I may not have let it warm up long enough.

The idle now seems stable, but I've got bad bog. I'm taking the bike for a long ride this afternoon to see if the idle issue is really fixed. I'll worry about bog later.

Thanks guys.

• William1

Posted May 13, 2009 - 12:35 PM

You never mentioned this problem occured immediately after you took the carb apart.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted May 13, 2009 - 12:55 PM

Problems always occur soon after monkeying with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pablo83

Posted May 13, 2009 - 06:36 PM

You never mentioned this problem occured immediately after you took the carb apart.

The hanging idle was the original problem. I replaced the idle jet to fix it and I pulled the throttle plate to check it for cracks at the same time. Then I brilliantly mis-assembled it leading to even more problems. Anyway, I went for a long ride today and the idle issue is fixed. :doh:

BTW, I rode Rampart today with a bunch of strangers. One guy on a WR was named Rich and he's on this site. I didn't get your login name, is this any of you guys?

• davidl9999

Posted May 13, 2009 - 07:44 PM

Nope, wasn't me.
Glad u got the idle issue fixed. If you're good with the idle, WOT, and midrange settings, look into the o-ring mod and changing your leak jet (bottom of float bowl) to a #40. R&D and Matrix both make bolt-on AP covers with and adjustable LJ (you still have to do some work on the bowl), or you might want to consider a PowerBowl (PB2 now?) if you don't want to drill your stock bowl.

Cheers,

• rich1167

Posted May 15, 2009 - 11:39 AM

The hanging idle was the original problem. I replaced the idle jet to fix it and I pulled the throttle plate to check it for cracks at the same time. Then I brilliantly mis-assembled it leading to even more problems. Anyway, I went for a long ride today and the idle issue is fixed. :doh:

BTW, I rode Rampart today with a bunch of strangers. One guy on a WR was named Rich and he's on this site. I didn't get your login name, is this any of you guys?

I'm the Rich you rode with. I'm having the same issue on my WR. My idle started hanging about 4 or 5 months ago. It's a big PITA with a rekluse. I am leaning toward a wore out hot start cable. I've checked and cleaned everything else.

• pablo83

Posted May 15, 2009 - 02:59 PM

well there's a lot of good advice on how to fix the problem in this thread. It was good riding with you, we'll have to do it again some time.

• rich1167

Posted May 16, 2009 - 10:18 AM

I had a good time too. That Jeff guy was smokin fast. We will have to hit 717 sometime. If your looking for poeple to ride with check out the Rocky Mountain section. That is where I mostly hang out and post. With reguards too the hanging idle issue. I went to get a new hot start cable and found out all the little parts on the end of the cable are sold separately. So I just bought a new o-ring and plastic nut. It's all back together. I haven't had time to run it so we will see next time I go.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.