2008 YZ450 - broken bits in forks???

11 replies to this topic
  • RJB

Posted May 07, 2009 - 06:26 AM

Just pulled my 08's forks apart and found the following inside the cannister :excuseme:
No external damage at all - how the heck did this happen (aside from being like this from the factory) ??? Any ideas??

Even worse, is that I can't find the spare parts - it looks like I have to buy the whole assembly!!! Is that right?

Posted Image

• rickallen124

Posted May 07, 2009 - 06:33 AM

According to mxa that is a common problem on the 08. In 09 they went to a different plastic material that is supposed to help. MXA and others have recommended drilling a small hole in the center of the plastic piece to alleviate the presssure that causes it to break.

• davcon

Posted May 07, 2009 - 06:34 AM

I havent had a problem yet but others have found a solution.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=650136

• rickallen124

Posted May 07, 2009 - 06:37 AM

http://www.motocross...E802C43DAFDFB23

• RJB

Posted May 07, 2009 - 06:46 AM

Damn - thanks for the quick replies guys. Anyone know where to source replacement parts (and if the 09 bits are the same) without having to buy a whole new valve at $200+ :excuseme:

• Ga450owner

Posted May 07, 2009 - 06:54 AM

Damn - thanks for the quick replies guys. Anyone know where to source replacement parts (and if the 09 bits are the same) without having to buy a whole new valve at $200+ :excuseme:

Dave Johnson at Smart Performance can get you replacement - I have been told you can not buy these directly from Yamaha (I have not validated this)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2009 - 09:17 AM

Link to Smart Performance:

http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/

Dave is an authorized KYB dealer.

• Wiz636

Posted May 07, 2009 - 01:17 PM

Link to Smart Performance:

http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/

Dave is an authorized KYB dealer.

...and he can give you detailed instructions on drilling that piece, he might even pre-drill it for you when you order it from him.

• RJB

Posted May 07, 2009 - 03:13 PM

Thanks again guys - I've managed to get hold of Dave through PM and will be ordering some parts up. Pretty damn poor design from KYB and I'd be surprised is this didn't happen to all of them. If I was hitting the triples hard I might accept it, but the occasional track day and mostly trails - not on. If I had a contact address at Yamaha, they'd be getting hell from me

• mxracer206

Posted May 07, 2009 - 05:02 PM

Thanks again guys - I've managed to get hold of Dave through PM and will be ordering some parts up. Pretty damn poor design from KYB and I'd be surprised is this didn't happen to all of them. If I was hitting the triples hard I might accept it, but the occasional track day and mostly trails - not on. If I had a contact address at Yamaha, they'd be getting hell from me

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for these things breaking, I work on some local pros bikes that get ridden hard and can't remember any of them being broke. Then next thing you know one will come in and just like you, they are not landing off of anything big and have a broken piston. That being said I am not sure drilling the piston will stop them from breaking but it sure makes them work better deep in the stroke.

• TonyR

Posted May 07, 2009 - 05:28 PM

I've had one of those break on an 06.
The KYB parts catalogue can be downloaded from here....
http://www.technical...load=catalog_uk
You can purchase the individual parts from Technical Touch, although most suspension tuners will have them, or be able to source one for you.
There are quite a few threads in the suspension forum about this as well.

• RJB

Posted May 07, 2009 - 09:26 PM

I've had one of those break on an 06.
The KYB parts catalogue can be downloaded from here....
http://www.technical...load=catalog_uk
You can purchase the individual parts from Technical Touch, although most suspension tuners will have them, or be able to source one for you.
There are quite a few threads in the suspension forum about this as well.

I asked Dave to send me a set out here in the jungle - no shops or tuners anywhere close by. The odd thing is that the suspension did feel different from new, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Goes to show that regular tear down and oil refresh is a must, especially on these boys. I guess I'll add them to my list of 'consumable' parts, along with tires, oil, filters, etc.

I didn't search the 'Suspension' forum, as the red mist had clouded my vision :smirk: . Real downside is that I've had no chance to go riding for over a month, the weather has been dry, the tracks & trails are most likely awesome at the moment. :excuseme: ...and now I've gotta wait a few more weeks for parts before I can even think about going for a ride :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.