Tank

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 16, 2001 - 04:44 PM

I have searched the archives and am still in a quandary. I want a thinner tank/seat so I can get over the front end. Which is better IMS, Clarke, or other for the thin & low center of gravity of the YZ?? Also if your answer is IMS which is opaque?? The color scheme (on the WEB) is confusing to a dummy like me. Any input including pics would help. I own a 00' WR and don't need any more volume than the stock tank. THANKS!!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 16, 2001 - 04:55 PM

You wont be dissapointed with the 3.3 from Clarke. I think they call the color of a clear tank "natural".
I had a IMS on my bike at first, took it back because it didnt fit up right swapped for a Clarke (got some money back to boot because it is cheaper) The clarke is slimer & mounts stronger.

But hey, thats my opinion.

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F
Enduro Heaven

• SFO

Posted February 16, 2001 - 05:56 PM

I purchased a ty davis tank 2 wks ago.
It is blue, yz fittment, 3.2 gals, requires a hot start relocater, and nullifies the choke due to its low boy style.
4 Twists and she'll light off...
Low and clean. I am running a ims seat base with stroker +1" foam(I believe this is the tallest available, I am 6'8" so I need all the help I can get...)
The stroker cover is the only one that fits on this foam. In black it is quite normal, ie.
non-garish...
I have seen a few guys with other big tanks and I always thought that I wanted to get away from wide and tall.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vincent

Posted February 16, 2001 - 09:02 PM

I bought the Acerbis tank...the one endorsed by Yamaha (GYTR). It fits great, its slim, has a trick aluminum filler cap fitting that can be swapped out for a dry brake if needed.
It has two petcocks to get all the fuel too.

I had a Ty tank, I sent it back because of poor quality (stripped fittings), and lack of being able to reach carb controls.

• MN_Kevin

Posted February 17, 2001 - 10:43 PM

Vin,
How much $$ was the Acerbis?

• aftershock

Posted February 17, 2001 - 02:35 PM

NH Kevin, I went through Baja Designs And and paid $175.00 for my acerbis tank. You may be able to find if cheeper but I have dealt with Baja before and had very good luck. They deal alot with WR 400's. I also ordered a high rise seat and a TY Hot Start :)

Doug

[This message has been edited by aftershock (edited 02-17-2001).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.