Triple clamp - torque specs?

2 replies to this topic
  • Rocket360

Posted August 29, 2002 - 06:59 PM

ok, recently bought the scotts top clamp to replace the stocker on my '99 400.

Does anyone know what the torque specs are for replacing the top steering stem nut? Evidently the shop thought somewhere between gorilla and impact wrench was right. I couldn't break that thing loose with my current tools.

I was looking for an excuse to buy that torque wrench anyway...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GPS Dual Sport

Posted August 30, 2002 - 06:21 AM

The manual for the 02 WR sez 105 ft-lbs.
Be sure you are talking about the nut on top of the triple clamps. The collar that is under the triple clamp and controls the clearance in the steering head bearings is a lot less torque.

• Rocket360

Posted August 30, 2002 - 11:18 AM

Thanks - went and bought a torque wrench and manual today during lunch. We'll see about the headset tension screw this evening when I bust that nut loose on top. Wanted to lube up the head bearings while I had the clamp off too.

Thanks for the assistance.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.