Well I'm back with a brand new 08 yz450f!!! Couple ?s

25 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted May 06, 2009 - 07:11 AM

Hey guys, after a long break over in the kawi forum, I've return to my favorite bike again. I just picked up a brand new 08 y450f. Actually, almost brand new, guy road in up the street once and then it sat. I'll be doing all the draining of fluids etc and normal maintenace before I ride. Just a couple questions. Before he even rode the bike, the guy put on a smaller 12T front sprocket,,,just curious is this worth leaving or changing out? Does adding a 12T (smaller) make it like adding a larger or smaller rear sprocket. Anyways, I'm so pumped on the bike. I'll take some pics ASAP. Any advice on this bike would be great. I loved my 06 and sunk a TON of money into it but it looks like I'll be keeping this one stock for now. Thanks everyone who replies!:excuseme: :smirk::ride:

• buzzfin

Posted May 06, 2009 - 07:30 AM

Congrats on your new toy! Yes, a smaller front is equal to a larger rear sprocket. 1 tooth down on the front is roughly the same as 3 up on the rear sprocket. If you're riding woods, it's better for the tight stuff. The trade-off is top end speed. I've also heard of excessive chain slider wear with a sprocket that small on the front. I went to a 51 rear on mine, but I only ride trails/woods.

• rdefonce

Posted May 06, 2009 - 08:35 AM

Congrats on your new toy! Yes, a smaller front is equal to a larger rear sprocket. 1 tooth down on the front is roughly the same as 3 up on the rear sprocket. If you're riding woods, it's better for the tight stuff. The trade-off is top end speed. I've also heard of excessive chain slider wear with a sprocket that small on the front. I went to a 51 rear on mine, but I only ride trails/woods.

Yeah your bike will be geared quite lower than stock. Of course, stock 1st is pretty tall so for woods you'll be much better.

I am suprised ya got one of those for trails . . . I'd figure they don't make such a good trail bike since they're set up for mx. 1st thing; back way off on compression damping clickers, especially forks. Heck, I even adjust my damping clickers way back for MX! (Of course, I am not an "A" rider so less damping works better for me, more plush)

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2009 - 10:49 AM

Get rid of the 12. You don't need it unless all you do is tight stuff, and a sprocket that small will wear quickly, and is tough on the chain.

• Justin89

Posted May 06, 2009 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the responsed guys:worthy: Yea, he gave me the original stock 13 so I will slap that bad boy back on there. However, I am contimplating getting a whole new chain/sprocket kit cause I know the stock chains are :excuseme:

By the way, I ride strictly MX:ride:

• hillclimbguy

Posted May 06, 2009 - 11:33 AM

I went to a 53 on mine for the tight stuff. You may have to alter the chain guide to clear the larger rear sprocket. But works for me.

• Justin89

Posted May 06, 2009 - 02:23 PM

Here's a couple pics y'all...:excuseme:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Ga426owner

Posted May 06, 2009 - 05:57 PM

welcome back - what was the good the bad and the ugly from your ownership of the KXF?

• rider315

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the responsed guys:worthy: Yea, he gave me the original stock 13 so I will slap that bad boy back on there. However, I am contimplating getting a whole new chain/sprocket kit cause I know the stock chains are :smirk:

By the way, I ride strictly MX:ride:

Congrats on the bike!:excuseme: Looks just like my 250, only bigger! You're right about the stock chain—plan on it stretching pretty quick, or just dump it and get a better chain. If you go that route, you might as well get a whole new drive setup (maybe just keep the rear sprocket). Rocky Mountain has great prices right now—I just picked up a RMA Rear Aluminum Sprocket for my 250, for $16.95, and am pretty stoked with the quality (although it's blue—no biggie).

Enjoy the bike man, looks awesome!

• gbalias

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:37 PM

that bike is sexy.

i want one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted May 06, 2009 - 07:23 PM

welcome back - what was the good the bad and the ugly from your ownership of the KXF?

I loved my KX450f but it decided to take a complete and total dump engine wise (I had a HC piston, my fault). It also felt extremely heavy and really fat on the tank. First thing I felt/remembered after getting this new Yamaha was how narrow it felt and also how light it felt compared to the Kawi. This new bike feels like a friggin 250f to me!

• Justin89

Posted May 06, 2009 - 07:37 PM

Congrats on the bike!:excuseme: Looks just like my 250, only bigger! You're right about the stock chain—plan on it stretching pretty quick, or just dump it and get a better chain. If you go that route, you might as well get a whole new drive setup (maybe just keep the rear sprocket). Rocky Mountain has great prices right now—I just picked up a RMA Rear Aluminum Sprocket for my 250, for $16.95, and am pretty stoked with the quality (although it's blue—no biggie).

Enjoy the bike man, looks awesome!

Wow never heard of that brand but fot the price I'll check em out!:smirk:

• psmith85

Posted May 06, 2009 - 07:49 PM

When you get ready to do suspension work, you might go straight to Gold Valves. I had my local certified Race Tech shop do a little valving work but I still had a slight harshness in mid stroke. The new gold valves eliminated this. Well worth the $$$. Go straight to the GV.

• motodreams

Posted May 06, 2009 - 07:53 PM

I loved my KX450f but it decided to take a complete and total dump engine wise (I had a HC piston, my fault). It also felt extremely heavy and really fat on the tank. First thing I felt/remembered after getting this new Yamaha was how narrow it felt and also how light it felt compared to the Kawi. This new bike feels like a friggin 250f to me!

Feeling like a 250f is exactly why I bought mine...(same bike as yours) I ride strictly mx like yourself, and am using stock gear ratios, seems to work the best. 100 hours of mx and still runs like new. All though I am a little anal with maintenance. Let us know when you start putting some goodies on it. Something tells me it won't be long...
Fun, fun, bike! Enjoy...

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2009 - 08:00 PM

When you get ready to do suspension work, you might go straight to Gold Valves.

Before you go that route, drop a line to Dave Johnson at Smart Performance. Really great stuff.

• Justin89

Posted May 06, 2009 - 08:42 PM

All great advice everybody!:excuseme: :smirk:

• yz440e

Posted May 06, 2009 - 09:46 PM

Hey, you bought your KXF from Brian Roth, right?

I saw that guy out at hangtown about a week ago, he was riding a beat looking 09 YZ450F! Interesting...

Congrats on the new bike, they are very motivating!

• davcon

Posted May 07, 2009 - 05:54 AM

Very nice find! BTW, check your jetting. If the PO hadnt made any changes it'll be lean.

• Justin89

Posted May 07, 2009 - 06:31 AM

Hey, you bought your KXF from Brian Roth, right?

I saw that guy out at hangtown about a week ago, he was riding a beat looking 09 YZ450F! Interesting...

Congrats on the new bike, they are very motivating!

Yep sure did. He also just won the electric mini SX at Las Vegas this past weekend too.

• rdefonce

Posted May 07, 2009 - 08:33 AM

Yep sure did. He also just won the electric mini SX at Las Vegas this past weekend too.

Justin your new YZ looks just like mine, sweet bikes them. Love the "virgin" white look.:excuseme:
I was looking for a "virgin" like yours but couldn't find one, oh well. So far so good though, after some TLC.
FWIW a pipe will help add some low to mid hit, which I've heard is lacking with the stock pipe. (never rode mine with stock pipe though)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.