Starter Motor Problem - 05 WR450

4 replies to this topic
  • 05-WR450F

Posted May 06, 2009 - 05:12 AM

This all started when I reassembled the side cover after doing the stator mod. My started slowly stopped working over a few days. At first I thought it was battery related since I had done the stator mod and hooked up a new R/R. Battery voltage is good and charging voltage is good. Checked the relays and all are functioning properly.

Last night I removed the torque limiter and pressed the E-Start. Starter worked. Pressed it again, nothing. I turned the starter shaft by hand, it was stiff but turned slightly. Pressed the E-Start, starter worked. Basically the starter works but not consistently and not under load.

Also noticed the end of the geared shaft is chewed up. What could have caused that?

Looks like I am pulling the starter. Any common things to look out for as this is my first starter overhaul.

Is it normal to get a click/bang (hard to describe) sound from the starter/torque limiter when killing the engine?

• c9buff

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:03 AM

I've got an 05 as well. On the first starter I had the same intermittent problem. It was a dead spot on the commutator. We tried to put it on a lather and grind it down. No luck. Have to replace the whole thing.

My other problem is that the starter shaft and torque limiter will not mesh fully. I have a new starter, new torque limiter, and new bushings pressed into the cover that hold the torque limiter.

I'm tired of dealing with it and just yesterday I started to rip all that stuff off the bike. A riding buddy has an 05 and he has no problems at all. I've had nothing but problems.

buff

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • c9buff

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:11 AM

As to the click/bang sound, the few times my starter would mesh I would get the sound. However, on my buddies 05, I have never heard that sound from his properly functioning system. I'm guessing that it's the starting clutch resetting. It's behind the flywheel.

buff

• William1

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:50 AM

You may want to bring the starter to an auto electric shop. They can turn the commutor, put it on a growler to check for bad segments and give it a general servicing.

• Parx_400

Posted January 15, 2010 - 11:20 PM

This all started when I reassembled the side cover after doing the stator mod. My started slowly stopped working over a few days. At first I thought it was battery related since I had done the stator mod and hooked up a new R/R. Battery voltage is good and charging voltage is good. Checked the relays and all are functioning properly.

Last night I removed the torque limiter and pressed the E-Start. Starter worked. Pressed it again, nothing. I turned the starter shaft by hand, it was stiff but turned slightly. Pressed the E-Start, starter worked. Basically the starter works but not consistently and not under load.

Also noticed the end of the geared shaft is chewed up. What could have caused that?

Looks like I am pulling the starter. Any common things to look out for as this is my first starter overhaul.

Is it normal to get a click/bang (hard to describe) sound from the starter/torque limiter when killing the engine?

Any updates on why it was chewed up?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.