Can a bent header be repaired?

11 replies to this topic
  • iamadam1122

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:03 PM

My head pipe bent in a crash. I took it to one exhaust shop so far and they said they couldn't do anything because its titanium. Anyone else know if its fixable?
Posted Image

• BC3

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:09 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]I have a couple stories about bent head pipes but can't confirm them .......One of my buddies said he filled his pipe with water and froze it in the freezer and it fixed it......another guy said he made some plugs to cap the pipe and put compressed air in it and slowly heated it with a OA torch and that fixed his pipe......I'm a welder and I looked at your picture or your pipe and think with the creases in the radius's your probably going to buy a new pipe so you have nothing to lose I would try the freezing
method first.....Good luck[/COLOR]

• iamadam1122

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the freezing method a try. The crease is pretty bad its almost pinched shut completely

• KJ790

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:31 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]I have a couple stories about bent head pipes but can't confirm them .......One of my buddies said he filled his pipe with water and froze it in the freezer and it fixed it......another guy said he made some plugs to cap the pipe and put compressed air in it and slowly heated it with a OA torch and that fixed his pipe......I'm a welder and I looked at your picture or your pipe and think with the creases in the radius's your probably going to buy a new pipe so you have nothing to lose I would try the freezing
method first.....Good luck[/COLOR]

Those methods work for dents, but not if it is bent or creased. Try sending it to Pacific pipe repair, they have a money back satisfaction guarantee.

• BC3

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:34 PM

Those methods work for dents, but not if it is bent or creased. Try sending it to Pacific pipe repair, they have a money back satisfaction guarantee.

Do you have a link for them or an address?

• davidl9999

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:36 PM

Freezing works for the most part with steel. It *might* work with the Ti header, but the creases look too deep to me.

The problem with Ti metal is it is brittle when cold, so freezing may crack it before the creases are deformed. Might be best to have a shop "hot work" it.

Pacific Crest Pipe:
http://www.piperepair.com/

Another thought: I'm not sure if you have an aftermarket can on the bike, but maybe save the cost of the repair ($60 + shipping) and put an aftermarket header on it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Merc1212

Posted May 06, 2009 - 04:18 AM

I managed to fix my bent Ti header on my 2006 with the 'freeze method' but I also had a pretty bad crease and just filling the 'elbow' with water and putting it in the freezer didn't do it (tried several times).

Since I figured I had nothing to loose, I sealed the silencer end with a plastic bag and elastic. I filled that end with water (leaving the elbow empty) and froze it so that it would make it's own 'ice plug'. I then filled the elbow where the crease was, bolted on the metal plate and stuck it back in the freezer. Crease came right out first try leaving behind just a little discolouration of where it was creased, but the physical crease was gone. Been fine since (2years).

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:27 AM

Freezing works for the most part with steel. It *might* work with the Ti header, ...

Freezing works beautifully with Ti headers, but only for dents. Bent and folded/creased tubing can't be fixed that way regardless of the material.

• KJ790

Posted May 06, 2009 - 09:47 AM

Do you have a link for them or an address?

http://www.piperepair.com/

• WGP

Posted May 06, 2009 - 10:00 AM

I bought a perfect used one off ebay for $20, that thing is junk...

• BC3

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:30 PM

Freezing works beautifully with Ti headers, but only for dents. Bent and folded/creased tubing can't be fixed that way regardless of the material.

I wasn't sure if the freezing method worked that well but like you said when their CREASED...it is pretty much new pipe time.....:excuseme:

• iamadam1122

Posted May 07, 2009 - 08:32 AM

Ya I emailed the pipe repair place and was told its not fixable. Looking on ebay now. Thanks guys

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.