Anyone had this problem with there '08 450

12 replies to this topic
  • Weapon X

Posted May 05, 2009 - 08:28 PM

I would be racing and about 2 laps in and my front brake lever gets stiffer and around lap 4 the front wheel starts locking up, I let a little bit of brake fluid out of the resevoir and I already replaced the stock fluid with belray dot 4. I think this gets worse when I mount my dna rims too, are the spacers out a touch ,not sure what the actual problem is here everything looks straight and spins true. Any help would be appeciated.

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:10 PM

Have you replaced the front brake lever?

• BC3

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:39 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]I had this happen to me once and the cause was that the return hole in the master cylinder was plugged......It is the smallest hole in the floor of the master cylinder (there are two holes) either that or your piston isn't returning all the way back and letting the pressure back into the reservoir....you need to have some clearance between the lever and the piston with the lever relaxed.....(free play) Hope this helps [/COLOR]

• psmith85

Posted May 06, 2009 - 04:05 AM

Is there any reason to think that the rotor might have slight warpage?

• aj_yz426

Posted May 06, 2009 - 04:37 AM

What BC3 said. I had it happen on an old bike. Rebuild of master cylinder fixed it. Piston wasn't returning all the way. When cool there was a gap or freeplay in the lever, when hot the lever became firm (no freeplay) and the front brake locked up. You might try to drain, clean everything, and replace brake fluid first and if no help, rebuild master cylinder.

• davcon

Posted May 06, 2009 - 05:51 AM

I've noticed odd behavior as well. The lever becomes stiff then loosens for no apparent reason. Usually just once per ride. Never had the wheel lock up tho. Have to pay more attention to this, sounds like the situation could get worse.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stepdaddy

Posted May 06, 2009 - 05:56 AM

Happened to me after i changed my break lever out, be careful not to over tighten the bolt that holds on the lever, because the movement of using the front break will actualy tighten it up and lock your front wheel up...I found this out the hard way.

But there are many other things that can cause this problem, this was mine

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:30 AM

Have you replaced the front brake lever?

The reason I ask this is because there is a known issue with some aftermarket replacement levers on the '08. They don't fit the MC plunger correctly, and cause the fill/return port to be blocked off.

Read (From Common Threads):

http://www.thumperta...853#post5844853

• Weapon X

Posted May 07, 2009 - 02:59 PM

Ya gray I have ASV on the bike ,what should I be looking for?

• grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2009 - 07:23 PM

Read my post just above yours. The '08 takes a different lever (ASV# BLH13 or BFH313). If that's the one you have, check for the described condition. If you don't have the right one, get it.

• lanham

Posted May 08, 2009 - 07:44 AM

The reason I ask this is because there is a known issue with some aftermarket replacement levers on the '08. They don't fit the MC plunger correctly, and cause the fill/return port to be blocked off.

Read (From Common Threads):

http://www.thumperta...853#post5844853

I just drilled the hole out bigger to accomodate the plunger.

• Weapon X

Posted May 12, 2009 - 05:30 PM

looked into it and there is definetly the wrong lever on the bike ,it for the 07 250f only.

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2009 - 06:35 PM

looked into it and there is definetly the wrong lever on the bike ,it for the 07 250f only.

That's an older listing. The '07 YZ250F lever is the correct lever for the '08 YZ450. The '08 450 uses the smaller caliper/master cylinder combo from the '07 YZ250F.

http://www.asvinvent...off_roadc5.html (BLH13)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.