07 YZ450 kills 2 stators

7 replies to this topic
  • Chipmaker

Posted May 05, 2009 - 05:05 PM

2007 has gone thru two stators in 6 months. Has anyone heard of this problem? Something has to be taking them out? Could it be related to the CDI unit????:excuseme:

• Family Man

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:42 PM

I havent experianced this personally. But for 09 yamaha did improve the the stator mounts to make it amore dependable. Maybe you could get one of the newer ones to mount up?

• Mkrase

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:48 PM

What part of the stator died? The charging side or the ignition side? I've heard of a bad rectifier/regulator taking out the charging/lighting coil side.

• Chipmaker

Posted May 06, 2009 - 03:18 AM

it was the power generating side, it was not the "trigger" coil.

The 05-08 coil is on a base that is a cut out shape, the 03-05 is on a round circular base. I think the 03-05 might mount in the engine case. But the 07 mounts in the side cover on the engine. The one thats in it now came from my 07 and we put it in my sons bike when his first one when bad last winter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:23 AM

What part of the stator died? The charging side or the ignition side? I've heard of a bad rectifier/regulator taking out the charging/lighting coil side.

There is no rectifier/regulator in the YZF electrical system. There are two circuits in the stator, not counting the trigger coil, but both of them feed directly into the CDI.

I believe that there may have been a "bad batch" produced, as the '07 and very early '08 appear to be affected, but there have not been many '06's involved. The newest stator is supposed to address this.

• Mkrase

Posted May 06, 2009 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the heads up Grey. I was kind of going off the setup on my YFZ450 which is (well...was, before going all DC) AC and DC output. Is the YZF all AC? Does the CDI act as the regulator?

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2009 - 12:10 PM

YFZ's and WR's are essentially the same system (AC to DC). The YZ's are all AC. Solid state electronics, of course requires DC current, but all current rectification and regulation is done internally within the CDI.

• Mkrase

Posted May 06, 2009 - 01:39 PM

Sweet, good to know! :excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.