MegaBomb vs. PowerBomb???

10 replies to this topic
  • BigBelly

Posted May 05, 2009 - 08:15 AM

I recently posted a question about exhaust for my '07 Wr 450 and it made me start looking at pipes. I like the Dr.D set-up but in the end, I think I'd just go with FMF (had good luck in the past).

Looking at the headers, is it worth it to get the header pipe and if so, what's the difference 'tween the MegaBomb and the PowerBomb? there another set-up you guys might recommend. I've got a buddy with the Leo Vince and I didn't much care for the sound. It didn't sound much different than my stock pipe (baffle removed), which is super quiet.

:excuseme: :smirk:

• brad the best

Posted May 05, 2009 - 01:29 PM

mega bomb
Posted Image
power bomb
Posted Image
the mega bomb is supposed to make you have even more power then the power bomb . i believe they both work on the principal of making the head pipe hold more gas with out making them longer .

the dr.d is the best , i wouldn't buy a new head pipe unless i had money to throw around .

i would choose the mega bomb over the power bomb .

Posted May 05, 2009 - 04:19 PM

i have the mega bomb on and all i can say is the sound and pull of my bike is not matched i also have a hot cam though. leo vance is junk. LOL

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:20 PM

I have had both pipes on my wr450. I had the powerbomb first, and then I got the megabomb after I smashed that one to smithereens. For me there was not a huge power difference that i noticed. They both feel a little better than stock, but nothing as big as just changing the can. If a had it to do all over again, I would buy the stainless steel powerbomb and call it a day. Good power, good price, and stronger than the titanium. The megabomb looks really cool though.

• davidl9999

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:28 PM

It's not really about how much gas the header can hold, it's more about the geometry of the tube.

Headers that have more volume per unit length tend to shift your powerband up in RPMs. If it makes sense for you to do that, go with the megabomb otherwise go with the powerbomb. There's less difference in changing the header than in changing the can as mikey noted.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 06, 2009 - 10:36 AM

I have the powerbomb. It looks cool, but doesn't do much other than dent very easily.

I also have fmf factory 4 pipe. the power gains are huge, even with the stock heeader

• klossWR450

Posted May 06, 2009 - 01:10 PM

worth trying the 07'+ genuine Yamaha YZ450 power bomb header, as big in volume as the FMF megabomb, looks good + has the heat shield

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 06, 2009 - 03:26 PM

My megabomb is pretty dinged up now. When titanium gets hot, it gets really soft. I read that the factory Suzuki team runs the stainless steel powerbomb, along with the factory 4.1 can on all of their offroad race bikes. After my experiences with titanium I see why.

• CharWR450

Posted May 07, 2009 - 11:54 AM

Both are better than the stock header.
And I did a search and i found that,
the PowerBomb is designed for more low to mid-range power and
the Megabomb is improved bottom to mid-range Power.

• davidl9999

Posted May 07, 2009 - 01:33 PM

Both are better than the stock header.
And I did a search and i found that,
the PowerBomb is designed for more low to mid-range power and
the Megabomb is improved bottom to mid-range Power.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Why would anyone choose one over the other then? Looks alone? :excuseme:

• blunko

Posted May 08, 2009 - 02:43 AM

Just do yourself a favour and get the Dr.D.
On my 08 WR450, it has provided a generous boost through the entire range.

You won't be sorry.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.