06 YZ450 Fastway low boy mounts

7 replies to this topic
  • writebrian

Posted May 04, 2009 - 11:24 PM

I need someone to tell me if I am taking crazy pills or not. :excuseme:
I have a set of F3's that I mounted on my 2006 YZ450F IN THE LOW BOY position and did not use special mounts. I took them right off my 03' and mounted them on my 06' with no changes or mods of any sort. They were not easy to get in. I angled em in place and a buddy dropped the pin, but they went in just fine and I did a 78 mile roundtrip trail run and they held just fine.

Has anyone else done this? Is there a reason I should spend 60 bucks on new mounts? Am I missing something?

• davcon

Posted May 05, 2009 - 06:21 AM

I'd like some low pegs. What are F3's? How much lower are they from stock?

• writebrian

Posted May 05, 2009 - 08:54 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=120065

3/4 inch low and back. MUCH wider platform

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:52 AM

The same pegs fit all YZ's from '09 back to I-don't-know-when-but-it-was-a-long-time-ago. The only problem with the "low boy" mounting trick, whether with Fastways or modified stock pegs is that the lug that stops the peg from rotating down farther than horizontal will often rest of the lower foot peg bracket bolt of the '06+ models.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • writebrian

Posted May 05, 2009 - 10:42 AM

I did notice that it is hitting the bolt but it did not stop the pegs from mounting. It actually creates a sort of camber effect helping to draw my knees to the bike. I don't mind it at all. Is that the only issue the 60 dollar brackets fixes? Any damage or weakening that will result from hitting that bolt?

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2009 - 11:04 AM

The $60 bracket lowers the pegs using any peg, which opens up the choices a little, but otherwise you're right. The peg bolts can be a massive PITA to get out of the frame the first time, too.

When you are putting all of the load from the peg on a corner of the stop lug instead of the whole surface, you are obviously raising the pressure on that point, but whether this will ever be enough to be a problem is another matter.

Some people will grind out the corner of the lug a little so it "fits" the head of the bolt.

• mike_dean

Posted May 05, 2009 - 04:48 PM

I mounted mine in low boy and took the stop adjust bolt in all the way and grd it down to match the head of the torx bolt, it works great no problems. You don't want to install the low boy brackets because you won't be able to get the old brackets off, the torx bolts have very shallow heads and are very tight, I tried heat, impact drivers, and the highest quality Snap-On torx bits with no luck, I could of drilled them out but settled on the modified pegs and I'm very happy, just spend some time to match the peg stop bolt to the torx bolt head. I red loctited the bolt in and then grd it down with a hand grinder with a carbide bit. Mike

• Wes Woodin

Posted May 07, 2009 - 09:04 AM

The same pegs fit all YZ's from '09 back to I-don't-know-when-but-it-was-a-long-time-ago. The only problem with the "low boy" mounting trick, whether with Fastways or modified stock pegs is that the lug that stops the peg from rotating down farther than horizontal will often rest of the lower foot peg bracket bolt of the '06+ models.

Yes your right! I had to grind the bolt down so that the pegs would be level. I was lower and did fit me better. The only thing I didn't like is that the pegs were so darn heavy, and they also chew up your boot bottoms rather quickly. Good luck. wes:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.