Relocating the battery to a lower location

26 replies to this topic
  • mikeythefokker

Posted May 04, 2009 - 09:56 PM

I have read about racing teams moving the wr battery, into the skidplate, creating a lower center of gravity. Has anyone actually done this? I am very curious about how that might work out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• kvg

Posted May 05, 2009 - 12:04 AM

there was a bit in april's dirtbike mag on a wr250 were the stock battery was replaced with a smaller e-batt and then relocated down into the skidplate.

• gdbarr1976

Posted May 05, 2009 - 06:12 AM

I have a kinda frankenstein 08yz450 with a wr ignition. To make it work I had to add a battery. Got one from trail tech that is a little bigger then a deck of cards. It fits into the yz air box area. I do not think it has the juice to pull a starter but I really don't know. Anyway, I think it will fit in the skid plate and plan to move it there hopefully this weekend.

• tribalbc

Posted May 05, 2009 - 06:36 AM

I think it's more about the airbox mods than lowering the center of gravity. The Ebatt weighs less than a pound so the weight being put at the bottom won't make a ton of difference. They want to remove the whole airbox lid so it breathes like a YZ.

The Ebatt does make a huge difference in getting rid of 4+ lbs of high weight though.
I've been running one for a year and am surprised it's not a more popular mod.
$120 for a 4lb loss in a critical area and a more powerful battery to boot :excuseme:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 05, 2009 - 06:48 AM

The Ebatt does make a huge difference in getting rid of 4+ lbs of high weight though.
I've been running one for a year and am surprised it's not a more popular mod.
$120 for a 4lb loss in a critical area and a more powerful battery to boot :excuseme:

How did it affect the starting with the e button compared to stock?

Do you have any pictures of the battery installed?

• tribalbc

Posted May 05, 2009 - 07:24 AM

How did it affect the starting with the e button compared to stock?

Do you have any pictures of the battery installed?

It starts better with the e button than stock. Turns over faster, and you can get more stabs at the starter before it starts losing juice, alot more.
Don't have any pics handy, but I just have mine in the stock location. Mines old tech now, a Nicad so it's the same size as stock and weighs 2lbs compared to the Lithium 12oz. The lithium is also a little smaller than stock so when I upgrade I plan to cut my airbox open a bit more.
You also swap out your long ground wire to the motor cases for a short light unit to the airbox bolts.

Right now there are no self charging Lithiums available for the Yammi as he's having charging issues :excuseme:
I've been told they will be ready by the end of the season.

I will have my seat off in the next couple days and will post some pics.

• beezer

Posted May 05, 2009 - 07:38 AM

I was looking at these.

http://www.turntechb...ry/Welcome.html

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:38 AM

Right now there are no self charging Lithiums available for the Yammi as he's having charging issues :excuseme:
I've been told they will be ready by the end of the season.

I will have my seat off in the next couple days and will post some pics.

What battery did you buy?

or

http://www.ebattonline.com/index.html

Why cant the stock reg/rec charge these batteries...?

• GCannon

Posted May 05, 2009 - 11:19 AM

or

The WR charge system will overcharge the small battery it has too much Voltage and too much current (amps)

This modification is necessary to insure that the bike does not
overcharge the battery. An overcharge could result in a shorter
life span or could cause a FIRE. (this is the quote from the Ebatt website)

I would expect a a small current controller or something to be coming soon but if Ebatt and their competitors are developing a Lithium Ion battery then they would most likely develop that technology rather than continue with the Nicad battery system

You would need to figure out how to charge the battery when camping for multiple day trips.

• tribalbc

Posted May 05, 2009 - 11:27 AM

or

But the Nicad model I bought is no longer available. It runs off my stock charging system.

The lithiums have a problem with overcharging on the stock system so he is developing a circuit to regulate the charge.
It already works on other models just not the Yamaha :excuseme:

Those turn tech batteries haven't been around long, couldn't tell you anything personally on them. I know WRDave got one, maybe he'll chime in on how it's working.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted May 05, 2009 - 11:31 AM

But the Nicad model I bought is no longer available. It runs off my stock charging system.

So Jealous! :excuseme:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 05, 2009 - 11:36 AM

The WR charge system will overcharge the small battery it has too much Voltage and too much current (amps)

This modification is necessary to insure that the bike does not
overcharge the battery. An overcharge could result in a shorter
life span or could cause a FIRE. (this is the quote from the Ebatt website)

I would expect a a small current controller or something to be coming soon but if Ebatt and their competitors are developing a Lithium Ion battery then they would most likely develop that technology rather than continue with the Nicad battery system

You would need to figure out how to charge the battery when camping for multiple day trips.

If you convert the bike to all DC and run an aftermarket reg/rec that is specific to DC then you shouldnt have a problem...correct...if that is the case, we could build our own light weight batteries for half the cost!

Anyone with an aftermarket reg/rec (BD or TT) want to start their bike and tell us what the volts are at the battery? Maybe do idle, half throttle and a quick gaser!

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:01 PM

I am aware of the other lighter batteries, I was just curious about that setup that they were running in that magazine. Apparently, getting the weight lower in the bike, even if it is a pound or so, can make a noticeable difference. I had a feeling that this would be one of those things that only a race team would take the time and money to do. I just hate the way that the wiring is laid out on my bike, and how hard it is to take off the rear subframe. I'd love to get all of that crap out of that area if I could. My other bike is a yz250 2stroke and it has spoiled me when it comes to wrenching.

• beezer

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:51 AM

They say the TurnTech battery charges from the stock electrical system.

http://www.turntechb...attery/FAQ.html

• GCannon

Posted May 06, 2009 - 07:33 AM

If you convert the bike to all DC and run an aftermarket reg/rec that is specific to DC then you shouldnt have a problem...correct...if that is the case, we could build our own light weight batteries for half the cost!

Anyone with an aftermarket reg/rec (BD or TT) want to start their bike and tell us what the volts are at the battery? Maybe do idle, half throttle and a quick gaser!

http://www.turntechb....ttery/FAQ.html as Beezer points out this battery is very tolerant of the stock charging system it can handle voltage up to 16.5 volts max. as far as the current I think its more of a demand thing where the battery "Draws "what it wants when it is down it will draw more current and when it is charges up it will just draw a little.

Base on the web site information this battery looks pretty good for this type of application.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 06, 2009 - 07:38 AM

http://www.turntechb....ttery/FAQ.html as Beezer points out this battery is very tolerant of the stock charging system it can handle voltage up to 16.5 volts max. as far as the current I think its more of a demand thing where the battery "Draws "what it wants when it is down it will draw more current and when it is charges up it will just draw a little.

Base on the web site information this battery looks pretty good for this type of application.

Correct but compare that to the www.ebattonline.com

This guy has a circuit on his...

I just want to understand the whole thing...and once i figure it out, i dont see why i cant buy the cells and wire them up to make my own battery

• beezer

Posted May 06, 2009 - 08:37 AM

The battery box on a WR is all aluminum and you'd have to be careful how you mounted the battery so it doesn't short out.

I'd hate to have the bike catch on fire.

No way would I put the battery in my skidplate.

• gdbarr1976

Posted May 09, 2009 - 06:51 PM

I have a kinda frankenstein 08yz450 with a wr ignition. To make it work I had to add a battery. Got one from trail tech that is a little bigger then a deck of cards. It fits into the yz air box area. I do not think it has the juice to pull a starter but I really don't know. Anyway, I think it will fit in the skid plate and plan to move it there hopefully this weekend.

I moved the battery and this is what happened. As stated above I have a yz with a wr ignition. The battery is from trail tech and looks like one of the e batteries. I have had it mounted in the airbox.

I moved it to right on the botton center of the engine. With my skid plate installed it fit but was a very tight. Got it all wired up and road it around for about 20 minutes and it quit. Pushed it back to the garage and started testing. The problm was the battery was shorting out. Was it the heat, the pressure. Don't really know yet. What I have now done is put it in a little pouch thing and moved it to the front of my skid plate. Got dark and will try it tomorrow but I am thinking that I my have some reliability problems.

• gdbarr1976

Posted May 11, 2009 - 06:24 AM

I moved the battery and this is what happened. As stated above I have a yz with a wr ignition. The battery is from trail tech and looks like one of the e batteries. I have had it mounted in the airbox.

I moved it to right on the botton center of the engine. With my skid plate installed it fit but was a very tight. Got it all wired up and road it around for about 20 minutes and it quit. Pushed it back to the garage and started testing. The problm was the battery was shorting out. Was it the heat, the pressure. Don't really know yet. What I have now done is put it in a little pouch thing and moved it to the front of my skid plate. Got dark and will try it tomorrow but I am thinking that I my have some reliability problems.

Rode my bike for about an hour today with no problem. This really worries me though since I don't know why it shorted out when it was directly under the engine. As it is now it is in a little pouch that is giving it some protection from the heat coming from the engine there is also less pressure on it though it is still a tite fit. Any opinions on wether the heat or pressure could end up being a problem? By the way, when I removed the battery from underneath the engine which I did as soon as I got it back to the garage, other words the engine was still hot, the short went away.

• beezer

Posted May 11, 2009 - 09:31 AM

The battery next to all that hot metal makes me nervous.

A good shot to the skid plate from a rock could knock the battery loose.

I'm gonna put mine in the stock location.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.