water pump problem

5 replies to this topic
  • czapa

Posted May 04, 2009 - 08:48 PM

hi there
its 2006 wr 450 380 miles on it, that's how i bought it
did not ride it, try to start last month and theres a short leak of coolant around the water pump area.could it happen to almost new bike?
o and the header is turning crazy red very quick.
looks like cooling system doesn't work ,right?
do i need to replace the whole thing or just some seals?
thanks

• davidl9999

Posted May 04, 2009 - 09:12 PM

WR's are notorious for bad waterpump shafts. Plan to rebuild it. You can get an aftermarket impeller/shaft. I've read that they're better than stock, but I don't personally know.

The header will turn red if the bike is run but isn't moving. Once there's airflow over the header, the Ti will cool down pretty quick.

• Regalman

Posted May 05, 2009 - 05:37 AM

I'm kinda pissed, I'm in the same boat. Brand new bike, less than 100 miles on it when it started leaking. Wish I would have caught it before the 30 day warranty was up. That will teach me to buy a bike at the end of the riding season.

Seems to be bullpuckey to me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted May 06, 2009 - 04:51 AM

You might want to call Yamaha customer service and talk to them. I had an issue a few years back with my son's TTR that the shop we bought it from told us was not covered under warranty. I called Yamaha and talked to a rep about it and they took care of it. Writing an actual snail mail letter is not a bad idea either.

• czapa

Posted May 06, 2009 - 08:15 AM

Does anyone know which excact parts do I need to get for the water pump problem or should I take apart my pump first and then see what I need?
Thanks for any info and advices

• gbalias

Posted May 06, 2009 - 05:30 PM

take it apart 1st. but id replace everything anyways. its not expensive.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.