2005 rmz trouble

8 replies to this topic
  • kxtwofiddyeff

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

my buddy has a 2005 rmz from ebay it has so problems..he paid 1900 for it he rode it once for about 10 minutes it was over heating ......pissing antifreeze eveyehere ppissing out oil from the oil overflow .....the head pip was cherry red....on a bright clear day and it was smoking.....i gave him my input of something screwed up with the valves and stuck water pump... scored piston creating heat...so i wanted some more peoples input...o and hard starting

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Twitch yz125

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

common problem with the 04's with the overheating...but the rest...umm..smoke could b oil in the piston like a broken gasket....head pipe could b a result of the coolant...im not an expert

• kxtwofiddyeff

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

ya i mean i just told him to take it somewhere and say get it running right lol because its not worth 10 hours in the garage tinkering

• scotty2020

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:33 PM

sounds like a blown head gasket and our poor coolant ciculation the pipe does get hotter than most. their is a weep hole on right side of piston head right below top of kick start put finger over it and kick it over with other hand if it blowes air our coolant you have a blown head gasket. The oil spitting out of case is probabley cracked piston our worn rings on piston creating pressure in case. If you fix all of that your self your looking around $550 for piston and all top end gaskets,seals and tools.

• rmz250suzuki

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

When the header pipe turns red, is this sign of something wrong?
We fired up my friends bike the other night after working on it, we noticed that after idling for a bit the header became bright red...
I figure this is probably normal since it does get hot, and from what I heard the crf 450r s runs a bit hot.. Posted Image

• scotty2020

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

I have been told the 04 and 05 you dont want to let idle for to long standing still. the will start to boil. warm up time is less than a minute.:excuseme:

• cc2233bb

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

my buddy has a 2005 rmz from ebay it has so problems..he paid 1900 for it he rode it once for about 10 minutes it was over heating ......pissing antifreeze eveyehere ppissing out oil from the oil overflow .....the head pip was cherry red....on a bright clear day and it was smoking.....i gave him my input of something screwed up with the valves and stuck water pump... scored piston creating heat...so i wanted some more peoples input...o and hard starting

I own an 04 RM-Z 250... First, buy a Boyesen water pump cover + impeller kit. It has a beefier impeller that moves a lot more rad fluid and helps cool the motor better. Buy Water Wetter and use it with your radiator fluid. Next, get a higher PSI radiator cap for the RMZ. I think I bought a 2004 Kawasaki KX 125 cap, which was rated at 1.8 instead of the stock RMZ's 1.2 radiator cap.

Tear down the top end of the bike if it's hard to start. Sounds like the valve clearance needs to be checked.

Btw, on my 04, the exhaust pipe would get bright red VERY quickly. After upgrading, the pipe would still get glowing hot, but the radiator fluid never boiled over.

• downonmonday

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

I also bought Fluidyne radiators! Best investment, well besides suspension! lol.

• therussian77

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

anyone have an 05 rmz manual they can send me.

send to therussian77@gmail.com
thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.