Hot Cam exhaust cam installation

3 replies to this topic
  • bultaco

Posted May 04, 2009 - 05:44 AM

A newbe trying to get familiar with the inner workings of my WR400f...

Book says line up line in view window at crank...the is no line...just a:

H I printed out...so just line up in the middle of the two letters...the punch marks are not quite lined up at that time:

. E I . . E I .

the hot cam seems to have two punch marks.... at 9 and 11 not 9 and 12...

I suppose because it is a 4 stroke that for the 2 turns of the crank that the is another top part of the stroke where the symbols are are at 180 degrees from above:

. I 3 . . I 3 (e backwards)

Hot Cams site says that normal engine oil can be used for assembly...that some assembly lube is not friendly with the clutch plates? Yet their printed instructions (use motor oil) is opposite of their instruction video (lube used)

Lastly, the timing chain seem pretty new...how can you tell...there is no play at all...tensioner just doing its job?

Thanks very much for any insight.

• ncampion

Posted May 04, 2009 - 08:37 AM

The "I" is the mark to line up. You can't tell anything from looking at the cam chain as the tensioner will keep it tight. I just changed my chain after many many miles of riding just because I thought I should. Here is a picture of the new chain and the old chain hanging together. There was very little wear even after all those miles (and years).

http://s32.photobuck...nt=IMGP1554.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dano426

Posted June 29, 2009 - 10:14 PM

Hot Cams site says that normal engine oil can be used for assembly...that some assembly lube is not friendly with the clutch plates? Yet their printed instructions (use motor oil) is opposite of their instruction video (lube used)

What did you decide to use? Motor Oil or Assembly lube?

I have always just used oil, but hot cams are giving mix signals?

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2009 - 11:52 AM

Ignore the "H". That's for an ignition strobe check. Line up the "I" on the crank with the index in the timing port. Then align the "E" on the exhaust cam and the "I" on the intake cam each with the gasket surface of the head, ignoring any other marks on the cams.

Roll the crank back to just before the "H", then roll the exhaust cam back until the chain is tight, then roll the intake back also. Now, slowly turn the crank forward to the "I" while holding a little pressure on the chain tensioner. The E and I marks on the cams should align as described above.

If they don't align perfectly, and they may very well not, look at the cams and imagine the mark being on the next tooth either way. The question is whether it will be closer to perfect, or farther from it if it was moved.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.