Rekluse Review

27 replies to this topic
  • ccstrebe

Posted May 03, 2009 - 06:05 PM

After reading HBombs thread a few weeks back http://www.thumperta...ghlight=rekluse I got all excited about the Rekluse.

So I ordered it, installed it and headed for the track. The first weekend I was a little disappointed but I wasn't used to it yet. The next weekend I started liking it a little better but it was still up in the air.

After riding with it for four Saturdays now I can honestly say that when you are out on the track, about the only thing it is good for is brake sliding. I own a nice stadium style track http://happytrack.co...ml/track_4.html and the only time it comes into play is on four corners that I can charge into real hard and I'll brake slide to make quick turn. The Rekluse makes it a little easier because I don't have to use the clutch to do the brake sliding so my forearm doesn't pump up as fast.

I would suspect on an outdoor track the Rekluse wouldn't even come into play other than maybe the start but I can't tell you anything about that because we are just a practice track.

The light clutch pull is a nice feature. I still use the clutch to take off from a standing start or going into slow inside turns.

The bike will still stall if you blip the throttle and you are not moving fast enough, very annoying.

Another annoying feature is that you can't/it won't bump start if the engine stalls.

When it is all said and done, I'll leave it on, but I don't know if I would ever do it again.

• MAXIMUS-05RAVEN

Posted May 03, 2009 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for the review, I was on the fence about getting one but after reading this I think I'll hold off. I've read allot of positive feedback on it and your one of the few negative, well neutral reviews I've read with legitimate gripes. I think I'll stick with my stock clutch setup. It would be nice I guess to not have to pull the clutch in to shift but I don't make allot of money so it would be tough to justify this kind of purchase and the fact that my stock clutch is more likely to stall than a rekluse in the event of a fall is more motivation to keep it upright I guess :excuseme:

• ThmprJmpr

Posted May 03, 2009 - 11:47 PM

I dont usualy use my clutch to upshift. I only use it to start and for cornering. Will this harm the motor/trans?

• ccstrebe

Posted May 04, 2009 - 05:15 AM

I dont usualy use my clutch to upshift. I only use it to start and for cornering. Will this harm the motor/trans?

Modern day motocross bikes are designed so that you do not have to use the clutch to upsift.

• ThmprJmpr

Posted May 04, 2009 - 10:55 AM

Thats what I thought.

• john01

Posted May 04, 2009 - 11:18 AM

I haven't raced MX with mine but they sure are nice in the woods. Mine hasn't stalled yet but I am sure it will. How is your idle set ccstrebe? When we first did my sons his cut off a few times when he would chop the throttle real quick. We turned his idle up until the bike would "almost" creep and no more stalls.

• ccstrebe

Posted May 04, 2009 - 11:32 AM

I haven't raced MX with mine but they sure are nice in the woods. Mine hasn't stalled yet but I am sure it will. How is your idle set ccstrebe? When we first did my sons his cut off a few times when he would chop the throttle real quick. We turned his idle up until the bike would "almost" creep and no more stalls.

I just got done talking to a tech guy at Rekluse and he said that for my application (tight track) that I might like it a little better if I take out three of the balls for a softer engagement rate. I'll try it this weekend and report back.

• sparks426

Posted May 04, 2009 - 12:31 PM

I recently helped a friend install one in his 08. He loves it, but he has a fused right ankle and went for the bar mounted brake as well. We do a mix of trails and track, I haven't tried it offroad yet. On the track I had a similar response, didn't seem to make a noticable benefit for me. Have not rode it offroad, where I'm sure it will be better (he tended to stall a lot and have trouble restarting with the ankle). I agree on the bumpstarting, I would definately miss that.

• john01

Posted May 04, 2009 - 12:37 PM

Yes they are very user friendly and a softer engagement rate may help out. Just remember to space out the balls and just don't take all 3 out of the same section. WE are going to nstall one in my friends 525 Polaris Outlaw 4-wheeler. He stalls on a flat field lol.

• RedLon

Posted May 04, 2009 - 09:56 PM

Nothing but love for mine, takes a little getting used to. Went into an old trail with downed trees, and crawled all over them with ease, would have turned around with my old clutch. It's so nice not to stall every couple of minutes...

• willbilly

Posted May 05, 2009 - 02:22 PM

Initially, I still had an occasional "blip" stall with the PRO. I had set it up for "medium" engagement. I increased the idle and removed 3 ball bearings. I didn't have time to test the setup and raced last weekend on a tight track. I placed 3rd overall when normally I place around 8th. I love it. Smooth engagement comming out of turns, great hookup, no stalling, and less energy. I am an over 40 novice. Try the soft engagement setup (-3 balls). you might like it better. Good luck.

• gruberyz

Posted May 05, 2009 - 02:29 PM

The Rekluse is an awsome piece of equipment I have purchased and installed four of them in my bikes. I love the holeshots on dead engine starts and the nastier the terrain the better it works. Also when you do get spit off in a cross country race my YZ just lays there pinging away untill I pick it up.

• ccstrebe

Posted May 05, 2009 - 02:38 PM

Initially, I still had an occasional "blip" stall with the PRO. I had set it up for "medium" engagement. I increased the idle and removed 3 ball bearings. I didn't have time to test the setup and raced last weekend on a tight track. I placed 3rd overall when normally I place around 8th. I love it. Smooth engagement comming out of turns, great hookup, no stalling, and less energy. I am an over 40 novice. Try the soft engagement setup (-3 balls). you might like it better. Good luck.

That's what the tech guy told me, remove three balls. I'll be trying it out this weekend and see how it works.

• ccstrebe

Posted May 05, 2009 - 02:44 PM

The Rekluse is an awsome piece of equipment I have purchased and installed four of them in my bikes. I love the holeshots on dead engine starts and the nastier the terrain the better it works. Also when you do get spit off in a cross country race my YZ just lays there pinging away untill I pick it up.

The general concensous seems to be that the Rekluse is an awesome addition for an off road and trail bike. I don't ride offroad or trail but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to install the Rekluse.

There just dosen't seem to be as much of a benefit on the track. Also, on the track, I think the faster you are the more the benefit diminishes.

• cubera

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:03 PM

The general concensous seems to be that the Rekluse is an awesome addition for an off road and trail bike. I don't ride offroad or trail but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to install the Rekluse.

There just dosen't seem to be as much of a benefit on the track. Also, on the track, I think the faster you are the more the benefit diminishes.

I think you're exactly right. I'm going to turn my '07 R into a single track monster and I think the Rekluse would be the perfect mod. If you want to sell it let me know since we're neighbors. :excuseme:

• lescor

Posted May 06, 2009 - 07:56 AM

I have the pro model on a '09 450R and use it on a fast sand track. One benefit no one's mentioned, and one of the main reasons I got it, is that if I dump the bike in a corner, or any crash where I'm on my feet right away, I can pick the bike up and be going again in about 10 seconds. The bike lays on the ground and never stalls, and you don't have to try to pull the clutch in to pick it up. I've crashed in two races and from lap times and helmet cam footage, I know I only lost 10 - 12 seconds each time. I was leading one race and only gave up one spot and was still close enough to re-pass the guy in less than a lap. Another time I passed the 3rd place guy, who was miles ahead of me, as he was kicking his bike over in a corner.

Performance wise, I don't see that you give up anything aside from the bump start. You can still override and feather the clutch like normal. If you are in a points series, how much would it be worth to you to get back the points you lost cause you spent half a lap re-starting a hot bike? Not important to everyone, just something to consider.

• gruberyz

Posted May 06, 2009 - 08:12 AM

During the summer when our cross country series is in the break I race MX and ride MX tracks. I reset my Rekluse to have massive slip untill high rpm. It aloows you to blast out of corners like you are feathering the clutch but you don't have to do it manually. This setting is horrible when trying to ride tight trails so I have to readjust the gap before going back to cross country riding. Also when doing jumps you can tap the rear brake to set the front end down without having to worry about pulling clutch lever or killing bike in the air.

• dschwindt

Posted May 08, 2009 - 08:04 PM

Does any one know where you can buy or order a rekluse pro clutch kit in Alberta or Canada. Thanks

• iflybyu

Posted May 08, 2009 - 08:19 PM

www.gnarlyparts.ca

• robg

Posted May 08, 2009 - 08:47 PM

i put one on my 08, ride track and woods. Yes it will give the odd blurp stall if your not smart with the throttle. Other that that I wouldn't ride with out it on a big 4-stroke ever. I'll spend the dough, you don't worry about the clutch anywhere and just pinner. woods and or track.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Please help , this is my first post. Carb issues? by cjr19543

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 2 replies
Wiki
$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool - last post by calco88

$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool

Wiki Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 outdoor motocross predictions by ImAHondaMan

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  67 replies
Forums
Photo

TRAIL READY 13 CRF 450R? by ShazzaM

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

05 crf450r top end by jlkroner

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.