KLX450 viable DRZ400 dualsport upgrade ?

10 replies to this topic
  • bill1960

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

I am looking for a lighter upgrade for my DRZ400 for dualsport use without dropping power or reliability.

I note stator and fuel tank upgrades are available for the KLX450 to permit brighter headlight and longer fuel range.

The KLX450 dirtworthiness is obviously an improvement on the heavy DRZ.
Can the KLX handle highway cruising at 60-70mph ?
If the bike is used for dualsport touring, (not raced) how long would the motor last before needing a top end rebuild ?

Apparently the KLX in Australia is street legal with a bigger headlight. Anyone using them for dualsport touring in Oz ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slackkinhard

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:09 AM

I have mine set up for dualsport, but I don't think it has the oil capacity for long highway miles. That's a big reason the DRZ is heavy. My $.02

• absurveyor

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

I have mine set up for DS. Short road trips are ok. Highway is pretty bad. It lacks a cush drive. Works great off road. My opinion is, buy a bike for what you want to ride. Make the sacrifice on what type of riding you do less of.

• bill1960

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

As far as highway, it's no different than a DRZ (ergo-wise or tranny-wise). It doesn't hold as much oil though which = gear extra high for the longhaul to keep RPM's low. The top-end should go at least 200-300 hours just the way it sits. Check the valves a little more frequently and go ride.

Thanks for the feedback
I found the DRZ can handle 65mph highway cruising with gearing that is still suitable for trails/mild offroad (50,000km before new rings were required).
Would be happy if the KLX450 could handle same up to 30,000km prior to needing topend work.
Has anyone tried fitting an oil cooler to the KLX ?

• hattown

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:56 PM

you wont get 30,000k's from rings, or probably anything in the whole motor, the KLX is same as the other high performance 4 strokes. around 5000k's out of a top end is considered good.

• uncleroby

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:50 AM

Hi Bill,

I keep asking the same question.
The truth is that people use the KLX mainly for off-road rides.
Plus the bike is "young".
What we know is that it is a reliable bike for enduro but nobody can really tell you how long the engine will last if used as a DS.
Some dealer told me 15.000 kms before rebuild, but IMO it is guesswork.

I keep my DRZ400E DS for the moment and I will see.

I love the KLX...

• bill1960

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:34 AM

Hi Bill,

I keep asking the same question.
The truth is that people use the KLX mainly for off-road rides.
Plus the bike is "young".
What we know is that it is a reliable bike for enduro but nobody can really tell you how long the engine will last if used as a DS.
Some dealer told me 15.000 kms before rebuild, but IMO it is guesswork.

I keep my DRZ400E DS for the moment and I will see.

I love the KLX...

Hi Uncleroby
Yes, the KLX450 is still young so not much real life testing has been done amongst a large variety of riders.

In comparison the DRZ thread has run for 9 years. Some DRZ's are still going strong after 40000miles with no engine work, others are rebuilding at 20,000 miles.
Lots of variables due to application.

Like you, will watch and wait .

• ztangoKLX

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

CRF450X lasted 13,000 miles and 350 hours....same rings and piston. Who knows with a Kwak. We shall see. I'm at Mile 5 right now. :excuseme:

Did you get rid of your Husky ?

• DRZ400SK4

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:02 AM

The KLX450 dirtworthiness is obviously an improvement on the heavy DRZ.
Can the KLX handle highway cruising at 60-70mph ?

I just made the swap from a DRZ400 to a KLX450R. But I seldom rode my DRZ on the highway, as I had it deeply geared and shod with knobbies, and used it mainly off road.

If you do a lot of highway riding, I'd say you'd be better off keeping the DRZ400, but if you want to upgrade to a much better woods bike, the KLX450R is definitely the ticket. My KLX is plated, but only as a way of connecting trail networks.

• uncleroby

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:58 AM

Is someone using it even as an everyday motorcycle?
For commuting and such?

• DRZ400SK4

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:00 AM

Mine's not an everyday or a commuter bike, but it does see a lot of road miles, when riding too, or when connecting, trail networks.

:banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Photo of my KLX - let's see yours... by PigPenKLX450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX450R
  • Hot  446 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX450R 2008 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX450R 2008
  • 7 reviews
  • Last review by F1Fan
  • On 25 March 2014
Wiki
How to shave and step a seat - last post by mele63

How to shave and step a seat

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX450R 2012 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX450R 2012
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX450R 2009 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX450R 2009
  • 2 reviews
  • Last review by Y-man
  • On 08 December 2013

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.