25 replies to this topic
  • TIG88

Posted May 10, 2009 - 11:41 AM

Heres whats required for your basic top end/ cam chain job

1) Flywheel puller
2) Circlip Pliers
3) Inch Pound Torque Wrench
4) Foot Pound Torque Wrench
5) Ball hone (I have one for sale in the classifieds!)

Other than that its just your basic tools (sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc)

Its not very difficult to do one you get inside there. The hardest part is getting everything apart. Did mine in an afternoon.

Tip: If you replace the camchain again, make sure it dosent bunch up at the bottom of the crank.

• Aka.Goose

Posted May 10, 2009 - 06:09 PM

Why do I need a flywheel puller? I'm not going into the bottom case, or removing the magneto?
And I'll wait on getting a hone (or learning a DIY method or something) until I see what the cylinder wall looks like...

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2009 - 09:31 PM

A flywheel puller is needed in order to remove the timing chain, which you will, of course, be doing, right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aka.Goose

Posted May 10, 2009 - 11:30 PM

Hey, like I said I've never done this before...I don't plan on replacing the chain (it was changed with the tensioner just a couple engine hours ago)...
I actually thought after removing the chain tensioner, I'd be able to tip the cams, and pull the chain off the sprockets, while keeping it attached to some framing wire...There's nothing I've found in the service manual about that...
I only had time to work on it a little while this evening...Got it ready to open up...
Grey, I don't pretend to know what I'm doing...I'm just technically sound enough to learn...And don't mind purchasing the tools required to do this stuff myself, as I plan on keeping this YZ basically forever...It'll be passed on to my son eventually (he's only 11 and riding a KLX110, about to step up to a YZ85 as soon as his grades improve)...
I am often humbled by the knowledge many of the guys on here have, and I feel I always express my gratitude...
Maybe if a few of you could scan through the manual about changing the piston, and help out with steps you feel should be listed or explained better...Instead of making me feel like a moron...
THANKS!
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2009 - 07:52 AM

Maybe if a few of you could scan through the manual about changing the piston, and help out with steps you feel should be listed or explained better...Instead of making me feel like a moron...

Don't do that.

The thing with the timing chain is that even though you've replaced it, it may still end up hanging loose from the bottom of the crank sprocket. With the flywheel off, this is a simple thing to correct, but if it's in place, it can be annoying if not impossible to straighten out. Besides, if you really are going to keep it, you'll want one eventually, and they're cheap and simple to use.

The first mistake most people make in doing a diagnostic tear down is in failing to check things as they come apart. Check the valve timing and clearance before you pull the cams, stuff like that.

You may also want to throw a block under your rear wheel so the whole weight of the swing arm assembly isn't hanging on the lower chain roller if it currently is.

• Aka.Goose

Posted May 11, 2009 - 11:43 AM

Don't do that.

The thing with the timing chain is that even though you've replaced it, it may still end up hanging loose from the bottom of the crank sprocket. With the flywheel off, this is a simple thing to correct, but if it's in place, it can be annoying if not impossible to straighten out. Besides, if you really are going to keep it, you'll want one eventually, and they're cheap and simple to use.

The first mistake most people make in doing a diagnostic tear down is in failing to check things as they come apart. Check the valve timing and clearance before you pull the cams, stuff like that.

You may also want to throw a block under your rear wheel so the whole weight of the swing arm assembly isn't hanging on the lower chain roller if it currently is.

Done. Found a good deal on ebay...Will wait a few days til it arrives before opening it up...Started a new thread " http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=781443 " and added a few pics...Please help me out over there...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.