Fuel Injection-Why does it matter so much?

17 replies to this topic
  • Todddob

Posted May 02, 2009 - 08:44 AM

Thinking about the race tonite between Reed and Stewart, if Stewart can dominate so much w/o FI why does everybody want it? Seems like alot of trouble, my buddies have FI sleds and motors blow from wrong fuel mapping, and all sorts of stuff. I think I would rather clean a carb than hook a laptop to my bike.:excuseme: I guess we are just all excited for a new chassis.

• mikedabike

Posted May 02, 2009 - 11:06 AM

It's not a big deal as the advantages over a properly tuned carb are small. The problem I see is on these newer bikes carb access is a pain. I own a 07 YZ450 and barring any major issues I don't anticipate a new bike for another couple of years. At that time I will gladly trade having to disassemble half the bike to make changes to the carb for a easier solution.

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted May 02, 2009 - 11:07 PM

One thing. No more jetting!!! WOO! So when you ride at 0ft all the way up to 4,000ft (or what ever sea level) You don't have to worry about rejetting the bike. It will be the same!

• The Captain

Posted May 02, 2009 - 11:10 PM

Thinking about the race tonite between Reed and Stewart, if Stewart can dominate so much w/o FI why does everybody want it?

Because not everybody has a factory mechanic, or the time, to tune a carb for every possible atmospheric condition one may encounter.

• YamaLink

Posted May 03, 2009 - 09:02 AM

Combination of progress, technology and marketing.

• x2468

Posted May 03, 2009 - 06:09 PM

a properly tuned carb will be the same as FI. the difference is FI is easier to tune and faster. and FI can tune itself as temp, altitude, etc change. where as a carb you need to physically adjust it when these things change in order to get the best performance. FI also gets better gas millage, and allows for more complex and minute tuning than a carb. plus the ability to move to secondary injectors in the future. but im not sure if that will ever be needed for the dirt.

• yz480doinwork

Posted May 03, 2009 - 06:28 PM

i wish my bike was FI

• chris7521

Posted May 04, 2009 - 12:41 AM

Tuning would be simpler for the factory riders. Also, hot starting is a lot easier for sure.

• davcon

Posted May 04, 2009 - 05:58 AM

Proper Jetting. One less thing to worry about. Especially lean conditions that could do serious damage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wondermuscle

Posted May 04, 2009 - 06:39 AM

I rode a fuel injected 450 this weekend and it was amazing! The power was so crisp and clean. No bogs, no hesitation and no jetting changes.

I think it would be great to have the ability to plug your bike into your laptop for some fine tuning. But the bike will be tuned so much better than our old fashioned carb bikes that you won't need to mess with it...... Lets hope yamaha gets it close from the factory.

• rdefonce

Posted May 04, 2009 - 09:09 AM

One thing. No more jetting!!! WOO! So when you ride at 0ft all the way up to 4,000ft (or what ever sea level) You don't have to worry about rejetting the bike. It will be the same!

+1:thumbsup:
This is the only reason I want FI.
until . . . I read wondermuscle's comments. That's icing on the cake!

• buzzgrizz

Posted May 04, 2009 - 06:05 PM

I have not rode a FI bike myself but my son has and he said it is unbelieveable. Just look at automobiles and how FI helped them.

• mynewcr250

Posted May 04, 2009 - 06:13 PM

FI is the way to go IMO, with everything.

when you got an injector that's controled by pulse width modulation, you can adjust the amount of fuel being sent into the cylinder to just the craziest extent.

carb is nice for cheap power, but i like technology and accuracy. slight temp change? with FI its already adjusted before you even notice anything. the bikes run like a top all day every day.

• writebrian

Posted May 04, 2009 - 11:31 PM

Had a chance to ride an 09 KX450. It takes some getting used to it as the power feels very electric like. It's like you are rolling on a dimmer instead of grabbing a hand full of gas. But it was a brute for sure just not my kind of feel... yet!

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted May 05, 2009 - 03:05 PM

I believe the manufacturers have had FI planned for at least a couple of years. Look at how difficult it is to get to the carb to replace jets or adjust the needle. The frames are built right around the carb (prior to the 06's, carb adjustments were much easier because of easier access).

With FI, and the lessons Yamaha will have learned from Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki, I think that the next-generation YZ-F's will have the best FI system AND the easiest method of adjusting the programming/mapping, IF that will be even necessary.

• BC3

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:32 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]I have a couple friends (Lackey) that have RMZ Suzuki's
and like Chad Reed NEVER have starting problems after they fall off.....Watching the SX series this year was a good example of this when Stewart failed to get his bike started after a fall...No float bowl to deal with and no extra fuel sloshing around creating a rich condition to fuel foul a plug......I can't wait for Yamaha to FI their bikes... [/COLOR]

• Ga426owner

Posted May 06, 2009 - 07:16 AM

Here is a negative to FI.....you know how much dirt/silt mysteriously gets in the bottom of your gas tank....no matter how anal you are about avoiding it? It clogs up the fuel pump pretty easy......then you have a fun maintenence project. It seems the Honda is the worst compared to the Zuk and Kawi

I am looking forward to FI I just hope Yamaha does there homework on it for what works best for a Dirt Bike...and curious as to how much added cost it will add to the price

• mynewcr250

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:56 PM

Here is a negative to FI.....you know how much dirt/silt mysteriously gets in the bottom of your gas tank....no matter how anal you are about avoiding it? It clogs up the fuel pump pretty easy......then you have a fun maintenence project. It seems the Honda is the worst compared to the Zuk and Kawi

I am looking forward to FI I just hope Yamaha does there homework on it for what works best for a Dirt Bike...and curious as to how much added cost it will add to the price

with a fuel pump, comes a nice fuel filter. i wouldnt worry about any dirt or silt.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.