04 WR450 Carb Tuning

Anybody used one of the aftermarket Quickshot accelerator pump covers with any succcess ?

Yes. But not that brand.

I did all the mods: JD Jet kit, stiffer AP return spring, Stiffer AP pump spring, 35 leak jet. After adding the R&D powerbowl and power pump cover (with adjustable leak jet) I noticed a significant increase in throttle response off idle, and going down hill.

Now it feels like fuel injection....

Not needed. Do the oring mod or the stiffer Merge Racing AP cam spring. Then check/set the AP timing. Then select the corrst size leak jet. However, some do replace the AP cover the an Adjustable Leak jet to save them the hassel of swapping leak jets.

I bought an 04 also and about to tear into the carb.

Why would I need a stiffer AP spring and what is the O ring mod?

How do you set the squirt timing?

I bought an 04 also and about to tear into the carb.

Why would I need a stiffer AP spring and what is the O ring mod?

How do you set the squirt timing?

Either the oring or the spring, the spring is longer lasting. You need/want it to provide a more positive response from the AP.

You look in the carb throat, engine off, and nail the throttle, confoirm the squirt just misses the slide. Read this thread about the O-Ring Mod and AP Tuning

How does the snorkel come out, does it pull out or are there screws somewhere?

DSCN8557.jpg

Are these the two areas you cut on the air box?

DSCN8558.jpg

It pulls out, not sure if the plate also comes out.

And yes, those areas you cut out.

I assume you have a jetting kit and have done the grey wire and the throttle stop already.

No jetting kit, I will be buying leak, pilot and main jets.

Want to save the dollars from the JD kit. Can I use the 04 YZ needle jet, is the needle jet the same but has grooves for adjustment?

Grey wire will be done today.

No jetting kit, I will be buying leak, pilot and main jets.

Want to save the dollars from the JD kit. Can I use the 04 YZ needle jet, is the needle jet the same but has grooves for adjustment?

Grey wire will be done today.

Still would be better off with the JD kit, trust me.

How about the throttle stop??

Where do I run the breather tube at in the air box? From my understanding the 04 has no AIS

What breather are you referring too? Crankcase?? Correct, you do not have an AIS.

Yes the breather tube from the crankcase that comes out of the top of the heads. I read were others are rerouting or add a "T" for starts in water.

Thanks for your help William, so you think I really need the JD kit :excuseme: , hmmm, on my WR250F I rejetted w/o the needle and was fine so I was thinking I could do the same here OR add the YZ needle IF it had the slots cut to adjust, you are saying this thinking is incorrect? I am in Dallas at about 500 ft. above.

• 2 months later...