High Altitude (Colorado) 01’ 426 Question

2 replies to this topic
  • Bkew

Posted May 01, 2009 - 08:35 PM

First I have been a way a LONG time from this site(6-7 years) and it is nice to be back.
I did peek in now and then though just to see what is going on.

I bought my 01’ YZ426 new (only owner and yes back in 01’) and would never let it go. Back problems made it so I could not ride. I always figured I would get the chance to ride it again, and I think I am there! :smirk:

All giddy with the chance to ride again I did a lot of reading on TT and purchased a R&D Power Pump, Flexjet, and JD Jetting Kit to fix that damn spark plug eating carb. Pro Circuit T4 Exhaust I had previous. I foused on cleaning the carb and much to my surprise the bike fired up on the 3rd-4th kick..!!! *lucky I stored it right.

The question I have is for any Colorado riders or high altitude riders that have the JD JET kit. I have it installed as James recommends.

RED needle 5th clip from the top with a 165 main jet. This is supposed to be a good setup for 6000-9000ft range. The Initial ride tells me it is lean. Right now it is very very cool out so I know it may get better when it is 70-90 degrees out and the air thins more.

But it got me wondering, does the design of the JD jet kit take into account air temperature?? I ask because I am wondering if I should go with the 168 Main and BLUE needle 3rd clip from the top. This is supposed to be a 3000-6000ft range setup and this may be a little closer to what we ride. Rampart is a little higher I think but most the tracks and Pueblo is around 4000-5000 feet give or take.

Just looking for some experience with the kit. I should also note that all the products are top quality and quality people to work with.

Thank in advance for any help, and it is great to be back. :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2009 - 07:11 AM

Try the blue needle and see.

As to temperature, it takes about a two percent change to correct for 15 ℉, or 4% for 35 ℉. Altitude is roughly 1%/1000 ft.

• Bkew

Posted May 04, 2009 - 05:13 AM

Thanks Gray. I did place the blue needle in this weekend. Only got a quick test ride as it rained all Saturday. Sunday was nice but a lot of mud so I will have to wait a bit for further testing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.