Steering Dampers

16 replies to this topic
  • sp43

Posted March 06, 2003 - 09:22 AM

I have been looking at steering dampers and wanted to get everyones input. What brand ? Are they worth the money?

• Fryboy

Posted March 06, 2003 - 09:29 AM

I purchased the Scott's Protapers, triple clamp, and damper and couldn't be more happy. I haven't had too much experience with any of the other brands but I am sure they work.

As of now this was the best mod I have done.

Fryboy

• bigdrtrdr

Posted March 06, 2003 - 09:37 AM

I tried a Scotts, the damping was way to heavy for my style. We bought the WER and it works a lot better. It only dampens from 0-35 degrees With no damping back to 0.

• CowboyBob

Posted March 06, 2003 - 09:42 AM

Scott's seems to work for me. Tried the GPR and could not get comfortable with the Damping rate back to center. Gpr does have a cool full hard to full soft feature though.

• Hick

Posted March 06, 2003 - 10:22 AM

It only dampens from 0-35 degrees With no damping back to 0.

The Scott's also has no damping back to zero, and has a four-position adjustable sweep, 34°, 44°, 54°, & 78° (I think it comes set at 44°).

Maybe you should have let the Scott's get broken in a bit before you switched to the WER, with new oil it is stiffer initially, it has been a while but I'm sure a new damper is even more so. Scott's now has a kit to mount their damper down low like the WER, or you can mount it normally. If you turn the damper around 180° it will clear most crossbars and you can run your pad.

The GPR is cheaper, and very popular, but unlike the WER and Scott's in dampens both ways (like most road-bike dampers). It is a bit larger also, so I don't know if it will work w/ any crossbar-type handlebars.

Any of the three are worth it I'm sure. I've never heard anybody say they didn't think it was worth the money. Once you become accustomed to having one on there you will probably not want to ride a bike without one.

• Hick

Posted March 06, 2003 - 10:39 AM

Here are some links with more info on the three, pricing, operation etc.

You can download a PDF file of the owners manual and service manual off the Scott's site, lots of good info.

Scott's

There is a good description of their product's operation on the WER site. [edit] Looks like you can d/l the WER manual also.

WER Steering Dampers

I couldn't find a site for GPR, but here's an outfit that sells them. It looks like GPR is selling "kits" like Scott's does (damper, mount, bars, clamps as a kit).

PWC Cost

• sp43

Posted March 06, 2003 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for all the information. Has anyone tried the rtt damper?

• KiwiThumper

Posted March 06, 2003 - 12:16 PM

Heres a couple of interesting articles testing both the GPR and Scotts stabilisers. On a RED bike but then the Steering Stabilser should be bike neutral :)

http://www.off-road....cts/crf450/gpr/
http://www.off-road..../crf450/scotts/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dieseld

Posted March 06, 2003 - 02:45 PM

I have been very happy with my GPR dampener, DH1 triple clamp, and Tag bar combo that I got last year. I have noticed a difference in every type of riding. On the track it allows you to ride longer without tiring, and on the wide open washboard/whoops it allows you to keep your shorts clean :)

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 06, 2003 - 02:49 PM

Rumor has it (on this site)that the RTT is in court for copywrite infringment. Dont know if that is true.

Im in the same boat as you and am also looking into one. These are the ones that I have found.

Scotts.

GPR

W.E.R.

RTT Motorsports

MSC Products

Right now I am torn between the Scotts and the GPR. The Scotts is obviousley my 1st choice. But the GPR is way cheeper. So I am Unsure. I have read bad reviews on TT on the WER.

• KRobWR250

Posted March 06, 2003 - 05:55 PM

Spend the $400 and forget about. The Scotts just plain works.

• Dean400

Posted March 06, 2003 - 07:08 PM

I've got the Scotts dampner with Pro Tapers and Applied triple clamp. I bought it from Baja Designs as a set for $600. It's worth every penny.

I have a WER dampner that worked good initially, then it got weaker and weaker. I even had it rebuilt by a local shop, and it made no difference. Has anyone else had this problem?

• sabin

Posted March 06, 2003 - 10:10 PM

The Scott's also has no damping back to zero, and has a four-position adjustable sweep, 34°, 44°, 54°, & 78° (I think it comes set at 44°).

Hick, I have ohlins (scott) damper and I'm very happy with it. I have only one question. How to know what sweep to set my damper? What is the best for tight trails and woods?

Thanks

• sjw

Posted March 07, 2003 - 06:40 AM

I bought a scotts,it is worth every penny!!! and more.I would find it very different to ride without it.dont know about the track but works great on the trails!!

• Hick

Posted March 07, 2003 - 01:21 PM

Hick, I have ohlins (scott) damper and I'm very happy with it. I have only one question. How to know what sweep to set my damper? What is the best for tight trails and woods?

It is just personal preference I suppose. I imagine that if you ride tight, slow trails or courses you may want less sweep so the damper doesn't interfere with quick and tight turns. If you ride primarily high speed stuff you may want maximum sweep for maximum protection against a high-speed tank slapper.

If you haven't ever ridden with a damper and wanted to do this scientifically I think a good idea would be to start out w/ no low speed damping (two turns out from max on the main knob) and the minimum sweep. Then start increasing the damping until you find one you are comfortable with, then increase the sweep one setting at a time to see how you like that.

When I first got mine some years ago I fiddled with this adjustment, and to be perfectly honest I forgot where I ended up, although I do remember it wasn't the maximum or minimum setting.

The manual (which you can d/l from the site if you've lost yours or don't have it handy) has details about how to make this adjustment.

• chabon99

Posted April 06, 2003 - 02:29 PM

When you're ready to purchase, check out http://www.steeringstabilizer.com

They have the lowest prices around and sell both the GPR and Scotts. They sell Applied TC's too.

• chewie

Posted April 07, 2003 - 03:09 PM

Not true even cheaper here :) http://store.yahoo.c...otdambolon.html

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.