'07 to '09 Speedometer (Poll?)

13 replies to this topic
  • trailhead2004

Posted May 01, 2009 - 10:40 AM

How many of you guys out there ride "official" dual sport rides? IOW, you have a pre-planned route with a roll chart to follow.

What is your opinion of the stock speedometer? Have you used it in the Race Mode?

The reason this came up is that I did a two day ride a couple of weeks ago and was getting frustrated with the stock speedometer because I was unable to increment the trip meter to make it read correctly according to the roll chart. I began thinking about getting a Trail Tech Vapor, partly because of the extra monitoring benefits (water temp, etc).

Then I decided to RTFM and lo-and-behold, I figured out that the race mode allows incrementing the current distance like I wanted when I was out on the trail. Yeehaw!

Another issue I had was that due to the dusty conditions, I was constantly reaching down to wipe off the screen so I could see the current distance. I have an idea that I might cut a hole in the front number plate and fabricate a duct to direct the air over the top of the screen, hopefully blowing the dust off. Static appears to be an issue and this solution may not solve it.

The thing I'm fishing for here is what are your experiences using the stock speedometer unit and have any of you changed to something else because you didn't like it? How about the dust issue, any comments on that?

Posted May 01, 2009 - 11:14 AM

I will be doing my first Dual Sport in June and plan to RTFM between now and then to understand the race mode... I have heard though that the unit is not capable of resets like you would find in a timekeeping enduro.

• chuckfp

Posted May 01, 2009 - 12:40 PM

My '08 speedo would work - if I could see it! After about 5 miles the dust funnels right onto the face due to the design of the numberplate/headlight and makes it non-readable. If I were more serious it would have to be bigger and re-positioned out of the low pressure area. Your idea might work. The anti-static theory is also interesting.

• trailhead2004

Posted May 04, 2009 - 12:52 PM

Has anyone tried leaving the film on the speedo that was there when you bought the bike? :excuseme:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 04, 2009 - 01:08 PM

Has anyone tried leaving the film on the speedo that was there when you bought the bike? :excuseme:

No but I have the same issue with my GPS...I think its just a part of riding in the dust...Things are going to get dirty/dusty :smirk:

• idamoh

Posted May 04, 2009 - 02:12 PM

Sounds like you need Pull-offs for your speedo!

• trailhead2004

Posted May 05, 2009 - 12:34 PM

Sounds like you need Pull-offs for your speedo!

My roommate and I were thinking something a little more Rube Goldberg-like. Similar to rolloffs, the idea is to put a small wiper on a piece of cord stretched taut between the grips. Next, get a couple of thumbshifters from an old mountain bike and come up with a ratcheting spool assembly for both sides. Then when you can't see through the dust, flip one of the levers to drag the wiper to one side. The next time you can't see through the dust, flip the other lever to drag it back again. Sort of a slow motion, manual, windshield wiper.

Do you think I can sell them on eBay? :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted May 05, 2009 - 03:29 PM

Try wiping a little "End Dust" on it before your next ride... it works for goggles:ride:

• tribalbc

Posted May 05, 2009 - 04:27 PM

Try wiping a little "End Dust" on it before your next ride... it works for goggles:ride:

Where do you find that ?

Posted May 05, 2009 - 08:32 PM

Where do you find that ?

Grocery Store / Drug Store... It's the stuff women use on furniture when they dust the house or whatever you call it...

It repels dust.... it works but can build up kind of a wax film after a while, it's almost a polish. I have put it on goggles before but not my odo....

• trav298

Posted May 08, 2009 - 05:22 PM

btw the 06 came out with the same speedo (at least my aussie one did)

• wrfty

Posted May 09, 2009 - 01:54 AM

I did my first navigation rallye a few weeks ago. I went for the MD road book holder and the ICO trip meter. These are the ones most Dakar and Aus Safari blokes use, and the most expensive!
They both work extremely well in tuff conditions and are easy to use. If the event your planning on doing has technical navigation, then having an accurate trip meter that you can adjust on the fly is very important.

This was my setup, next time I will raise the equipment so its easier to read when standing on the pegs. :excuseme:
Posted Image

• trailhead2004

Posted May 11, 2009 - 10:34 AM

btw the 06 came out with the same speedo (at least my aussie one did)

Thanks for the heads up. I'm relatively new to the WR forum so I was unaware of that. :excuseme:

• trailhead2004

Posted May 19, 2009 - 11:05 AM

OK guys, here it is.

I tried some of the 3M Anti-Static tape on my speedometer this weekend and overall it worked but not as well as I would have liked.

I did a two day dual sport up in Nevada this weekend so the dust was definitely available for testing. What I found was that the tape did a good job Saturday morning keeping the dust buildup to a minimum. But the dust eventually got bad enough that I had to wipe the screen. After the first time it didn't seem to work as well. I'm not sure if it was the sweat from my gloves or scratches in the surface. The tape seems a bit soft and I could see scratches on it after I had wiped it off.

I'm going to try cleaning it and riding again this week to see what happens. The next thing will be trying to increase the air flow over the speedo. I checked the cost on the front number plate and it's less than $20 and a sticker is even less so I'll probably just drill a few holes in it right above the top of the meter and see what happens. If I don't like it I'll just put a new sticker over the holes.

BTW, I had a chance to work with the speedo in Race Mode pretty extensively and I'm pretty happy with it :doh:. It appears that the big problem is the manual. The way it's written the operation sounds more complicated than it really was. Another ride and I should have the operation nailed. I might come up with a short sticky to post too.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.