06+ YZ450 Forks with Honda seals?

12 replies to this topic
  • Bigchaloopa

Posted May 01, 2009 - 04:33 AM

I friend of mine told me he read an article where they used Honda fork seals on the Yamaha forks to cure the leaking problems. The Honda forks are a mm smaller. For the life of me, I cannot find this article or any reference to it on the internet. Has anyone heard of this or done this? Dose it work? I am tried of the cleaning, replacing oil, etc. I just want to ride:worthy:

• Ga426owner

Posted May 01, 2009 - 05:27 AM

I friend of mine told me he read an article where they used Honda fork seals on the Yamaha forks to cure the leaking problems. The Honda forks are a mm smaller. For the life of me, I cannot find this article or any reference to it on the internet. Has anyone heard of this or done this? Dose it work? I am tried of the cleaning, replacing oil, etc. I just want to ride:worthy:

yea this is the trick MXA says works. I have yet to try it but like you I am tired for constant cleaning of the oem seals.

anyone else try this?

• grayracer513

Posted May 01, 2009 - 05:44 AM

No. So far, I'm having real good luck with the latest KYB seals I got from Dave Johnson at Smart Performance.

They remind me somewhat of the older '04 seal.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 01, 2009 - 07:28 AM

No. So far, I'm having real good luck with the latest KYB seals I got from Dave Johnson at Smart Performance.

cool GreyRacer
I just installed the same on my 06 this week. Fingers crossed that this is one less thing I have to constantly clean.

• hillclimbguy

Posted May 01, 2009 - 09:40 PM

I installed those Neophrene sleeves on our bikes and have not had a seal leak yet.

• Family Man

Posted May 02, 2009 - 09:09 AM

The manual states to clean the seals after each and every ride. Im one to just change them when then they start leaking. changed two sets of fork seals in two years, only after they started leaking. Not bad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted May 02, 2009 - 09:39 AM

I thought about trying the idea, but being the Honda is a 47 mm seal and we need 48mm seals, I did not.

I will try it on a friends bike if I get a chance.

• Chrome Speedo

Posted May 02, 2009 - 02:53 PM

I tried it with a single seal I had from an 04 CRF250x. I didn't check the size but it had so much stiction I took it off immediately (like before the forks went back together. I cut the springs a tad and run a few ml of tranny stop leak. Seals won't leak for at least a year.

• tahoeacr

Posted June 09, 2009 - 10:48 PM

How many hours are you getting out of these? I am sooo over it. Last set went 12 hours. I am ready to find some newer forks. Just can't sale the bike I only have 42 hours on it. Thought maybe part of my issue was the bike sitting too long between rides. Not this time.
thanks

• Ga426owner

Posted June 10, 2009 - 06:31 AM

How many hours are you getting out of these? I am sooo over it. Last set went 12 hours. I am ready to find some newer forks. Just can't sale the bike I only have 42 hours on it. Thought maybe part of my issue was the bike sitting too long between rides. Not this time.
thanks

agree the oem seals do not last long enough even for a fluid service......seems @$$ backwards to me:moon:

Grey what is the part number for these new improved seals plz?

• WB450

Posted June 10, 2009 - 07:57 AM

I installed those Neophrene sleeves on our bikes and have not had a seal leak yet.

Same here.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2009 - 08:23 AM

Grey what is the part number for these new improved seals plz?

No idea. They came in an unmarked bag from Dave at Smart Performance. Contact him for a set.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted June 11, 2009 - 06:37 AM

when i sent my forks to factory connection a couple years ago to have everything redone they put there fork seals in and they havent leaked since..

so what ever seals factory connection use i would deff use again on my bike, they havent leaked in 3 years:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.