Crank install

5 replies to this topic
  • finthat

Posted April 29, 2009 - 05:44 PM

Before I go to it. Once the tranny, bearings, oil pasages, dowels are in and shifting and turning ect. Is there anything else needed before the case sealant and crank go in? I think everything else can go in from the outside. Before I freeze the crank and heat up the cases I want to be sure I am good.

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2009 - 07:34 PM

Don't heat the cases. Freeze the crank and heat the main bearings with a propane torch. The cases don't need to be hot for any reason, and if they are, it will set off the sealer prematurely.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're ready.

• wondermuscle

Posted May 01, 2009 - 06:51 AM

I fortunetly don't have a propane torch (I would burn my house down) to heat bearing with. But I do have a heat gun which also works, it takes a bit longer but it works. Freezing the crank you might not even need to heat the bearings.

Be sure that when you put the cases together the dowel's don't move on you.

Good Luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • finthat

Posted May 02, 2009 - 04:39 AM

Thanks guys. I will finally have time this weekend to have at it. If I learned anything from putting the bearings in the case, I need to make sure my get things hot enough first. My first bearing dropped in like nothing the second got tight half way in and I had to work pretty fast to get it set down far enough.

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2009 - 07:21 AM

The fit of the bearings into the case and the fit of the crank into the bearings are two different things, though. It's not going to be that bad.

• finthat

Posted May 02, 2009 - 04:34 PM

Yeah I still haven't found my way to the basement yet and the Vegas super x is going to start in an hour or so. Sunday will be the day.

I am not as worried about the crank install steel on steel works better than steel on aluminum. Hopefully get close to running it tommorow or at least get it together so I can bolt it back in.

Thanks for all the help.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.