Is a KTM 250 sxf still good in the woods

8 replies to this topic
  • rzncainjr

Posted April 29, 2009 - 09:18 AM

I am a beginner rider and would like to ride on the track and in the woods.
I currently have a yamaha 225 xt and love the light weight and handling, but since it is geared for the road and the dirt it lacks power.
I would like a light weight 4 stroke and want to know if a KTM 250 sxf would still be really good in the woods?
and if not can you recommend a bike that is good in both woods and the track.

• TeamSOS

Posted April 29, 2009 - 09:26 AM

Yes, it's a great bike for MX and a fast H/S rider. But you will miss the e-start, the published literature is incorrect this bike is a six speed, not a 5 speed. The only difference between it and a 250XCF is the rear wheel is a 19 as opposed to an 18, and it does not have a kickstand or e-start, other than that they are the same bike. We sell new 250SXF's for $4495.00 plus 149.95 set-up and you get the KTM "Ready to race " kit worth $1144.00 The kit gets you the following items free!

Spark-arrested KTM by FMF silencer
Special Edition PG graphics
Spoiler right and left black
Fork bleeder valve set
Grips
High-strength aluminum glide plate (250)
High-strength aluminum glide plate (all 450 & 505 models)
Michelin off-road (all models)
Michelin off-road (SX-F models only)
Michelin off-road (XC-F models only)
Clutch hydraulic case guard (250)
Clutch hydraulic case guard (all 450 & 505 models)
KTM plastic bike stand
KTM 5-gallon drum
Tie downs
6 / 12 volt LED battery charger (450 & 505 models only)
Air filter
Oil filter (250)
Oil filter (all 450 & 505 models)
MOTOREX Cross Power 4T 10w50 (Qty. 2L)
MOTOREX Chain Lube 622 Off-Road
MOTOREX Foam Air Filter Oil 206
MOTOREX Foam Bio Air Filter Cleaner

• Jeffxr

Posted May 01, 2009 - 10:53 AM

I have a stock 2008 KTM 250sxf that I race H/S with. The bike is the best; I have only found problems with the stock suspension being to stiff, and the starting on a few occasions. I change out the stock radiator fluid, with engine ICE, skid plate, bark busters, Kevlar grips. I think it is the best bike I have owned. The past few seasons I have raced a 125sx (05), 200exc (06), yz250 (07), and now a 250sxf in 08 season and this season.

• KXRYDER

Posted May 05, 2009 - 05:53 PM

Yes, it's a great bike for MX and a fast H/S rider. But you will miss the e-start, the published literature is incorrect this bike is a six speed, not a 5 speed. The only difference between it and a 250XCF is the rear wheel is a 19 as opposed to an 18, and it does not have a kickstand or e-start, other than that they are the same bike. We sell new 250SXF's for $4495.00 plus 149.95 set-up and you get the KTM "Ready to race " kit worth $1144.00 The kit gets you the following items free!

Spark-arrested KTM by FMF silencer
Special Edition PG graphics
Spoiler right and left black
Fork bleeder valve set
Grips
High-strength aluminum glide plate (250)
High-strength aluminum glide plate (all 450 & 505 models)
Michelin off-road (all models)
Michelin off-road (SX-F models only)
Michelin off-road (XC-F models only)
Clutch hydraulic case guard (250)
Clutch hydraulic case guard (all 450 & 505 models)
KTM plastic bike stand
KTM 5-gallon drum
Tie downs
6 / 12 volt LED battery charger (450 & 505 models only)
Air filter
Oil filter (250)
Oil filter (all 450 & 505 models)
MOTOREX Cross Power 4T 10w50 (Qty. 2L)
MOTOREX Chain Lube 622 Off-Road
MOTOREX Foam Air Filter Oil 206
MOTOREX Foam Bio Air Filter Cleaner

so r u saying i could buy a 250exc-f and it wld handle mx no worries??? coz i had this dilemma too....and r u talking about the newest models??? wat about an 07???

• TeamSOS

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:06 AM

The 2007 XCf and the 2007 SXF shared the same engine (less e-start on the SXF) but completely different chassis. The 08 SXF & XCF are the same bike with the exception of the E-start, kick stand and rear wheel size. It would be more plausible to use a SXF for hare scrambles than to use an XCF for MX. Only because the e-start and kick stand on the XCF adds some weight to the bike and could conceivably put you at a slight disadvantage on a MX track, not to mention some tracks will require removal of the kickstand. 07 XCF would be O.K. for MX suspension, and trans wise, but would not turn as well or weigh as little as that same year SXF.
Mark @ SOS

• KXRYDER

Posted May 06, 2009 - 04:36 PM

oh ok sounds good....im only gonna be riding mx and trails for fun no racing...i really like the 09 exc-f but there was one thing that turned me off ktm's...i read in a magazine that they need more frequent top end rebuilds even more than jap bikes, they were talking bout the 09sx-f tho when they said that.....wld that apply to the exc-f aswell if they got the same engine??

cheers:thumbsup:

• TeamSOS

Posted May 07, 2009 - 05:26 AM

I don't think that is really true, they are probably referring to the Manufacturers recommendations in the owners manual, if the bike is a race bike. My last 250F was an 08 with 54 hours, most of it in Hare Scrambles, the valves had never moved and the compression was still very much like when it was new. But I am a nut for maintenance. And I ride in senior C, No comparison to MX riding. I have never heard that, but then again I don't get to the MX track very often, and we don't have a strong MX presence.

• KXRYDER

Posted May 08, 2009 - 05:39 PM

yehh they were talkin bout mx...i think the 450exc is the way to go

:excuseme:

• fender bender 59

Posted May 08, 2009 - 07:40 PM

Don't belive everything you read. I've put more pistons in our 250F's than I have in my KTM (300) but my son rides twice as fast on the 250f but I ride twice as long.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Folding shifter levers by BermRider18

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  69 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF50F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda CRF450R 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF450R 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Yamaha TTR125LE 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha TTR125LE 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Yamaha YZ250F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ250F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.