Why does Am-Pro race the WR?

24 replies to this topic
  • Adammoto

Posted April 29, 2009 - 08:31 AM

Any insights out there as to why team Am-Pro Yamaha races a modified WR instead of the YZ?

• LAndrew

Posted April 29, 2009 - 08:33 AM

Marketing - perhaps to help Yamaha sell WR's, even though they are nothing like a stock one.

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2009 - 09:19 AM

If the sport requires lights of any real power, and a wide ratio trans, it's probably less expensive to modify a WR than a YZ.

• Adammoto

Posted April 29, 2009 - 09:46 AM

Am-Pro Yamaha is a GNCC team. They don't race at night. And I'd guess the YZ top speed would be plenty for a GNCC course.

Seems to me they pay a big price missing out on the YZ suspension components.

I can't understand why Yamaha would care whether their race bike is WR or a YZ...so long as it is blue.

• wondermuscle

Posted April 29, 2009 - 09:49 AM

Their rider may prefer a WR over a YZ......

• off_road_4_me

Posted April 29, 2009 - 09:55 AM

who says that duvall's wr doesnt have yz forks?

besides,last year he won the series on a wr250f

• Adammoto

Posted April 29, 2009 - 10:06 AM

Their rider may prefer a WR over a YZ......

Yeah, maybe. Nothing against the WR...just wondering why?

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2009 - 10:08 AM

There are those who have used Dave Johnson's Phase 4 fork who don't see the old style fork as a disadvantage, too. Besides, it's naive to think that any YZF or WR raced at pro levels carries many unmodified components on board.

• mx730md

Posted April 29, 2009 - 10:12 AM

e-start.

• Adammoto

Posted April 29, 2009 - 10:21 AM

There are those who have used Dave Johnson's Phase 4 fork who don't see the old style fork as a disadvantage, too. Besides, it's naive to think that any YZF or WR raced at pro levels carries many unmodified components on board.

No sh** sherlock. The question is why start with the WR chassis.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • whoops dude

Posted April 29, 2009 - 10:27 AM

why not? the wr is a good bike. seems like a good enough reason.

• YamaLink

Posted April 29, 2009 - 11:23 AM

Maybe the team gets a bigger budget if they run a WR-based machine?

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2009 - 11:30 AM

No sh** sherlock. The question is why start with the WR chassis.

Because it's likely to be less expensive to do so. The WR electrical system requires a minimum of $700 worth of hardware, excluding anything to do with the e-starter, to make the switch. Then there's the gearbox (about $450 more) Of course, if you have the wherewithal to simply buy two motorcycles and start with whatever you want, there's that option.

As long as we're still on the subject, what's the evidence that the bike was one or the other to begin with, other than the name they call it now?

• cmd

Posted April 29, 2009 - 05:45 PM

i'd say marketing too.like gray said,they may call it a wr,but it's so far from a stock machine,it's ridiculous.i'm only about 45 minutes from randy hawkins place(am-pro's practice woods),and ride with a few guys that ride with them,i've seen up close and personal their bikes before:banana: ,and let me tell ya when you lift it on a stand...it's no ordinary wr,i though it actually weighed less than my yzf....

• swatdoc

Posted April 29, 2009 - 07:37 PM

there are also slight variations in the geometry between the YZ and WR frames - maybe they like the handling characteristics of the WR frame better.

• x2468

Posted April 29, 2009 - 10:37 PM

it's probably a hybrid of the two with the best parts of each. the YZ chasis, fork, cams, head etc. the WR tranny, estart.

they might use the WR chasis because it has more feel. the YZ chasis may be too stiff?

• Ga426owner

Posted April 30, 2009 - 06:43 AM

Randy Hawkins who started Am-Pro, always used WR's for Enduros basically because of the Wide Ratio Tranny and his relationship with Yamaha.

I would say that since Yamaha sponsers AM-Pro today both the WR & YZF is the choice for all AM-Pro testing - depends on the rider

• Adammoto

Posted April 30, 2009 - 08:05 AM

Lots of good responses above. Thanks for the input.

The "best of both worlds" bike they build is probably not cost effective for the rest of us...of at least not for me. But I'd like to try one!

• Toby259

Posted April 30, 2009 - 08:16 AM

The AM-Pro GNCC XC1 race bikes (450s) that Hawk and DuVall ride are YZ's, not the WR. Look closely at the swingarm, it's the new design from the YZ with no hole for the linkage and the bottom has a bump near the bottom of the shock. I talked to them at one of the races and they plan to start using the WR like they do in the XC2 (250) class. The bike they tested in Dirt Rider is the YZ. The main advantage of the WR is the transmission. The suspension and motor are not stock anyways. It will be interesting to see if/when they start using the WR.

• x2468

Posted April 30, 2009 - 09:38 AM

i watched the gncc race on TV today. barry hawks Wr450 (GASP, never thought id ever have to say that.... he once said he'd ride the yz250 until it was no longer produced) seemed to be really bouncey over the rough portions.

where is thad duvall? did he injure himself in florida?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.