Quick yz426f valve Question????

8 replies to this topic
  • Maxed-out

Posted April 28, 2009 - 04:14 PM

Ok so when do you know to check your vales or adjust them?

• Maxed-out

Posted April 28, 2009 - 04:27 PM

***!!!!!!....I just read the stick thread for adjusting the valves... What a bitch!!!! MAAAN. I hope i dont have to do that soon. :banghead: :banghead:

• zuch95701

Posted April 28, 2009 - 04:44 PM

check them every time you do and oil change. And i adjust mine on any of my bikes when i have 2 or more out of adjustment. It really is not a big deal to adjust them it takes about an hour with the head out of the bike. With it on it is a pain. The shims are easy to use, check your valves record the spec, locate the spec range in your manual. and slide over to the correct shim to use. One shot one kill for valve adjustments.

• Maxed-out

Posted April 28, 2009 - 04:54 PM

check them every time you do and oil change. And i adjust mine on any of my bikes when i have 2 or more out of adjustment. It really is not a big deal to adjust them it takes about an hour with the head out of the bike. With it on it is a pain. The shims are easy to use, check your valves record the spec, locate the spec range in your manual. and slide over to the correct shim to use. One shot one kill for valve adjustments.

Yeah ive been reading my manual im getting it. But it seems so crazy just to adjust some valves! Owell. gotta be done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zuch95701

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:00 PM

like i said i would pull the head if they need to be adjusted it will save you lots of time and the risk of dropping a shim into the engine. If you do that you might as well put new rings on the piston and a new timing chain is a must.

• 642MX

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:01 PM

check them every time you do and oil change.

Are you riding a CRF?... :banghead:

• zuch95701

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:04 PM

it takes 5 minutes the check the valves. Its worth the free labor to prevent a $1000 engine failure.

I am the guy who tears down my bikes once a year and checks every part for wear. My 1000 hour 04 250f is a good example of what proper maintenance does for a bike.

Also i do ride lots of enduros and hair scrambles my bikes get worked.

• 642MX

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:05 PM

Ok so when do you know to check your vales or adjust them?

I check mine twice a year. Once in the middle of the summer and once again at the end of the riding season.

Hard starting with a cold engine is a sign of a tight valve, but I've seen bikes start fairly easy with a valve (or valves) that are out of spec. The only way to really know is to check them.

• Maxed-out

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:40 PM

I check mine twice a year. Once in the middle of the summer and once again at the end of the riding season.

Hard starting with a cold engine is a sign of a tight valve, but I've seen bikes start fairly easy with a valve (or valves) that are out of spec. The only way to really know is to check them.

well that makes me feel a little better. Thanks guys for the feed back:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.