recently purchased 01 yzf 426

8 replies to this topic
  • bcprahl

Posted April 28, 2009 - 03:46 PM

I just bought a o1 yzf 426. I had previosly been riding a 83 honda xr350r. Needles to say it was a big upgrade. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the basics for this new macine. Namely fuel(what octane, leaded or unleaded) oil(amsoil or rotella T maybe) coolant(I heard these bikes run hot) and last any bike specific maintanance I should be aware of. Thanks

• 426 NOOB

Posted April 28, 2009 - 04:19 PM

I just bought a o1 yzf 426. I had previosly been riding a 83 honda xr350r. Needles to say it was a big upgrade. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the basics for this new macine. Namely fuel(what octane, leaded or unleaded) oil(amsoil or rotella T maybe) coolant(I heard these bikes run hot) and last any bike specific maintanance I should be aware of. Thanks

I own an 01 also that I bought a year and a half ago from the orig. owner and theyre awesome bikes. For gas run chevron or 76 premium fuel. Not valero or any cheap stuff and unleaded only. If you want the bike to last a long time run amsoil and change it every 6 hours seat time and a filter every other oil change.For coolant, some of the best you can get is engine ice, it doesnt boil as fast as regular coolant and do not let it sit and idle for longer than a minute or two. The only other thing is to make sure you replace the cam chain every year or other year depending on how much you ride. Here is the link for a free manual:
http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp Printable

• zuch95701

Posted April 28, 2009 - 04:49 PM

They are not a bad bike. The suspension is not the best but the engine is monstrous. Download that manual and follow it for your oil changes. Remember there are 2 drain plugs. Check your valves every few oil changes. As for fuel the 426 is not picky just run higher grade fuels. For oil, my old 426 had hundreds and hundreds of hours on it and i just ran delo 400 15w40. You can run a synthetic oil and get some nicer shifting out of the bike.

Good luck with the new bike. Good luck keeping tires on it. If you have any questions you can pm me i am online and checking my thumper talk 2 times a day.

• zuch95701

Posted April 28, 2009 - 04:51 PM

one more thing that you need to do, and i recommend doing on any bike weather new or old. Take your rear syspention linkage apart and grease all of the bearings. Those bearings get neglected and dry out. Be careful when pulling the sleeves out of the bearing because if they haven't been greased the needle bearings will fall out. Just collect all of them and fill the bearing with grease and put each needle bearing back in one at a time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tickytak10

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:01 PM

The first thing you better get used to is starting that 426 since it doesn't have the auto decompression. Other than that it's a great bike, i hope you enjoy it.

• 642MX

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:20 PM

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the basics for this new macine. Namely fuel(what octane, leaded or unleaded)

If the engine is stock, 91-93 octane will be fine.

oil(amsoil or rotella T maybe)

I use Rotella T 15W40, Lots of others use Amsoil. The brand is not as important as keeping it changed. Clean oil is the best oil.

coolant(I heard these bikes run hot)

These bikes don't really run hot, they just need a lot of air flow. I use the cheapest green coolant I can find and I change it often.

and last any bike specific maintanance I should be aware of. Thanks

Cam chains should replaced yearly, not doing so will eventually cause a big repair bill. Frequent oil changes are a "must do". If it doesn't have an auto decompression cam.... get one, its the best money you can spend on your 426.

If you have questions ask... or use the search feature. Welcome to TT. :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2009 - 08:17 PM

Browse through the Common Threads Sticky.

If you choose to use Amsoil, be sure to use the correct product: MCF or MCV. Others are not specifically formulated for the application, and won't provide the advantages the right stuff will.

The oil change process can be simplified somewhat:
Drain only the frame and crankcase, and change (or clean, if appropriate) the filter. Draining the oil lines is never really necessary, and the frame oil screen needs only an occasional inspection.

Keep your air filter clean. Get a second one, so you can have one ready to go when it's time to clean the one in the bike.

The 426 was and is a great bike. That there are newer and better ones around does not change that.

• bcprahl

Posted April 29, 2009 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for the info. I have spent some serious time on the trails the last two days and I am really impressed with my new machine. I live outside of town in Alaska and have great riding right out side my front door. I apreciate the tips on how to get a long life out of my new toy

• dgnretj

Posted April 30, 2009 - 12:07 AM

ive recently purchased an 2000 yz426 and i love it! ive ridden my buddies wr250 before and after and man the 426 is a beast! im about to do my first oil change and flush the radiators... i hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.