carb issues

5 replies to this topic
  • tom nolan

Posted April 28, 2009 - 02:48 PM

Hi All,
I a newbe over from the YZ side of the forum. I'm working on a 2005 WR450 that seems to be running without a idle circut. It starts allright with the choke on but it seems to rev too high as it warms up(with the choke on). When I put the choke in than it won't stay idling without massaging the choke lever. This seems to go away after the bike warms up really good. I pulled all the jets out and cleaned them and I also took the plug out that prevents one from adjusting the idle fuel jet. I set that to 2 1/3 out from bottom. One thing I did notice is that the throttle slide seems to be opened quite a bit from what I'm used to seeing, like maybe it's getting fuel to maintain a idle from somewhere other that the idle circut. Any ideas???

• William1

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:15 PM

Replace (do not try to clean) the pilot jet

• tom nolan

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:24 PM

Is that the adjustable jet your talking about?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted April 29, 2009 - 03:14 AM

No, it is a fixed jet, inside the float bowl. You are referring to the fuel screw, which fine tunes/adjusts.

• dazzabb

Posted April 29, 2009 - 07:29 PM

One thing I did notice is that the throttle slide seems to be opened quite a bit

Could your throttle cable be tight or routed incorrectly causing the cable to pull the slide up?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 29, 2009 - 08:17 PM

Hi All,
I a newbe over from the YZ side of the forum. I'm working on a 2005 WR450 that seems to be running without a idle circut. It starts allright with the choke on but it seems to rev too high as it warms up(with the choke on). NORMAL When I put the choke in than it won't stay idling without massaging the choke lever HAVE YOU ADJUSTED THE IDLE SCREW? This seems to go away after the bike warms up really good.IF THERE IS A TIME ISSUE, IT HAS TO DO WITH THE CHOKE CIRCUIT OR THE HOT START CIRUCUIT, MOST LIKELY I pulled all the jets out and cleaned them and I also took the plug out that prevents one from adjusting the idle fuel jet. I set that to 2 1/3 out from bottom. One thing I did notice is that the throttle slide seems to be opened quite a bit from what I'm used to seeing, like maybe it's getting fuel to maintain a idle from somewhere other that the idle circut. Any ideas???

A LOOSE HOT START PLUNGER TOP COULD CONTRIBUTE TO THIS, OR A CORRODED HOT START PLUNGER.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.