help-slipping shroud mounts on gas tank

7 replies to this topic
  • dirtfanatic50

Posted April 28, 2009 - 02:37 PM

I'm attempting to replace the Rad. shrouds on a 05 WR 450f . 3 of the bolts will not come out do to spinning out the nuts in the fuel tank, Is there any way to remove them without harming the tank or shrouds.

• matt4x4

Posted April 29, 2009 - 05:05 AM

If they are spinning you really only have one choice, Pull hard on the plastic at the bolt while backing the bolt out - one of 2 things will happen, the nut will bite and hold while you get the bolt out, or the nut will come out with the bolt and plastic.
Once that's all done, you have to epoxy the nut back into the tank, best way is to rough up the hole with a dremmel so your epoxy can bite, coat the bolt threads lightly in grease, put the nut on the bolt, making sure the bolt protrudes through the nut enough to holt the plastic tight against the tank (visual will do).
Now slap your epoxy in the hole and stick your bolt/nut combo into the epoxy.
Let it cure up, back the bolt out and reinstall your plastic. This time - don't over tighten it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 29, 2009 - 08:20 PM

I've had success with:

drilling in (2) small holes in the brass insert, and using a Circlip wrench to hold the insert while removing the bolt.

What ever way you get it out, you still will have to epoxy it back in place as mentioned earlier.

• SAWR450BOY

Posted April 22, 2016 - 12:20 PM

What epoxy would you recommend to use for brass inserts?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • franklinx14

Posted April 24, 2016 - 08:34 PM

What epoxy would you recommend to use for brass inserts?

Back when I had my kx250 this exact thing happened to me. After I got the inserts out and roughed it up, I used JB Weld. Not sure if this is the absolute best to use, but it held up perfectly for me.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted April 25, 2016 - 12:58 AM

And if you get the bolts out don't put them back in without a liberal coating of anti-seize.

• SAWR450BOY

Posted April 25, 2016 - 03:37 AM

And if you get the bolts out don't put them back in without a liberal coating of anti-seize.

Got my bolts out, will dremel and rough it up before use JB weld and anti-seize.

Thanks for the advice

• SAWR450BOY

Posted April 25, 2016 - 03:44 AM

Back when I had my kx250 this exact thing happened to me. After I got the inserts out and roughed it up, I used JB Weld. Not sure if this is the absolute best to use, but it held up perfectly for me.

Which one of the JB welds to use? The JB ClearWeld Syringe looks like the correct one as it also has the hardest tensile strength.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.