need a couple pics of the2.6 clark tank on the yz

42 replies to this topic
  • rexbond007

Posted August 07, 2009 - 07:42 AM

I used a different Yami petcock ('03-'05?) that has the outlet on the right so that I did not need to reverse the position of the stock petcock.

I used a WR petcock so i have the reserve option.

• erprob

Posted August 09, 2009 - 07:28 PM

I just fitted the IMS tank on my '08 and it fits ok. I needed to use spacers on the lower shroud bolts to get them to bolt to the radiator louvers. Per Gray's suggestion, I used a different Yami petcock ('03-'05?) that has the outlet on the right so that I did not need to reverse the position of the stock petcock.

I second this post. I bought a clark first but returned it before I put gas in it. I found it felt too big when you were on the bike.

I bough an IMS in black, bought a different Petcock for the direction change and made some spacers too. It look great and feels pretty decent for a large tank when riding.

Rob

• erprob

Posted August 14, 2009 - 08:30 AM

Here are some pictures with the IMS Tanks installed. 2008 YZ450f..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rob

• Justin Pearson

Posted August 14, 2009 - 09:19 AM

Thanks Rob! Those are the best pics ive seen yet and they show me that the tank definitely blocks a significant amount of airflow through the shrouds. I may have to put a cooling fan on for the slow speed stuff as I already get pretty hot with a stock tank...

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2009 - 11:39 AM

... the tank definitely blocks a significant amount of airflow through the shrouds. I may have to put a cooling fan on for the slow speed stuff as I already get pretty hot with a stock tank...

Never been a problem for me.

• Justin Pearson

Posted August 14, 2009 - 12:13 PM

Never been a problem for me.

Come to Vegas and ride with us... :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted August 15, 2009 - 07:40 AM

I know early on there were some issues with both the IMS and Clarke tanks not fitting quite right, have these issues been resolved over the years or are they still there? I need to get a tank for my 06 and I'm still on the fence regarding Clarke vs. IMS.

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2009 - 08:32 AM

I don't know if either of them really fit perfectly. I prefer the fit of the IMS, personally. It bolts to the frame very nicely, and clears the engine well, but is slightly higher and wider than the Clarke. The seat is hard to get to fit far enough forward on it at first, but the seat pan eventually "adapts". I and others have also found it necessary to use longer bolts with 5/16-3/8" spacers on them to attach the shrouds to the radiators. I find it simpler to bolt the shrouds to the radiators first, then pull them into position on the tank and bolt them up.

The Clarke clears the engine "adequately", but it's a little close in a couple of places, and crowds the radiators. The biggest fit problem with both of the ones I had was that they were too long between the front and rear mount bolts, and it took two people or the clever application of pry bars to get the second bolt threaded into the frame straight. I finally made a custom bracket for the rear on my son's bike to correct the problem.

Other than that, neither has really given me any problem.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 15, 2009 - 09:18 AM

I don't know if either of them really fit perfectly.

That's my gripe... I don't know why companies like IMS and Clarke, which have been doing this for a long time, have such a hard time making a tank that will fit these bikes. It's kind of irritating really...
I'm still considering trying the "hot water and compressed air" trick someone tried a few years ago on his 06 but I'm not sure you'll gain enough capacity from that approach to make it worth the effort. I should go re-read that post again to see how much he actually gained I guess.

• erprob

Posted August 15, 2009 - 10:34 AM

Thanks Rob! Those are the best pics ive seen yet and they show me that the tank definitely blocks a significant amount of airflow through the shrouds. I may have to put a cooling fan on for the slow speed stuff as I already get pretty hot with a stock tank...

I have never had a problem with over heating on my YZ. I race cross country which are 2 hours races with tight woods. Good air flow. My 2008 450 XC-f use to over head all the time. Even just on the starting line. It was crazy. One of the many reasons I unloaded the bike.

I bought the clarks but returned it. The clark tank sits way too high on the YZ. I like the IMS one much better. Plus it is still comfortable when kicking out your leg for a turn. As long as you have the spacers on the radiator like everyone is discussing you will be fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rob

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted August 15, 2009 - 03:49 PM

how wide are those rad spacers and do they go under the lower bolt? I already have spacers for my WC rad cages and I'm curious if I'll have to space them further yet for the IMS tank.

• sloz71

Posted August 15, 2009 - 07:38 PM

I just put the 3.1 ims tank on my 07 450 and didn't have to add any spacers. It just bolted right up. I also have the devol radiator cages on the bike as well. I am very satisfied with the larger tank and don't even notice the larger size and the extra ride time without running out of gas is nice. I even installed a tall seat (i'm 6'5") so the tank doesn't look our of place and with the bar risers the tank looks almost stock.

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2009 - 10:18 PM

You will know by bolting the tank down, then fastening the shrouds to the radiators and seeing how much, if at all, you have to pull back on the radiator and shroud to get the bolts to line up. If it seems excessive, add some length to the bolts that hold the shroud to the radiators.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 17, 2009 - 06:48 AM

I just put the 3.1 ims tank on my 07 450 and didn't have to add any spacers. It just bolted right up. I also have the devol radiator cages on the bike as well. I am very satisfied with the larger tank and don't even notice the larger size and the extra ride time without running out of gas is nice. I even installed a tall seat (i'm 6'5") so the tank doesn't look our of place and with the bar risers the tank looks almost stock.

Got any pics by chance? And where in ID are you?

• Justin Pearson

Posted August 17, 2009 - 11:37 AM

The only area I have been having overheating problems is in the Mountains here in Vegas. We get up in the 8-10K altitude area but its still over 80 degrees and some of it is pretty tightly wooded. You couple high altitude with relatively high heat and loose soil (poor traction) and you will find the weak links in any manufacturers machine. :thumbsup:

• sloz71

Posted August 17, 2009 - 12:34 PM

Got any pics by chance? And where in ID are you?

I will have to take some pictures tonight. I live in Meridian/Boise. Just rode Idaho City last week and it was one of the best rides I have been on this year.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 17, 2009 - 01:08 PM

I will have to take some pictures tonight. I live in Meridian/Boise. Just rode Idaho City last week and it was one of the best rides I have been on this year.

I'll check for the photos tonight.
I grew up in Twin Falls and spent a lot of time riding as a kid in the Sawtooths. I'm going back next month and going to spend a day riding there again, can't wait.

• WB450

Posted August 17, 2009 - 01:31 PM

how wide are those rad spacers and do they go under the lower bolt? I already have spacers for my WC rad cages and I'm curious if I'll have to space them further yet for the IMS tank.

I used a little longer bolt with my Zip Ty rad cages and my 3.1 IMS on my 07.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• desert-rat660

Posted August 18, 2009 - 08:22 PM

man do u ride your bike??? that thing is spotless! very nice looking

• WB450

Posted August 19, 2009 - 07:14 AM

man do u ride your bike??? that thing is spotless! very nice looking

Ya I ride it. Notice the date on the pic. It doesn't quite look that good these day's.:thumbsup: :worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.