License plate bracket for a WR450.

13 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted March 05, 2003 - 11:17 AM

I need a license plate holder for my WR450. Who sells a good one. I don't want a tailight or turn signals on it.

• Keener

Posted March 05, 2003 - 12:36 PM

I found 2 good ways to mount a plate.

For both options, take a plastic 5 gallon bucket and trace the size of the plate on it. Now, taper the rectangle from the plate down to the width of the tip of the rear fender. You need to follow the curve of the bucket. Attach the plate to the fender with bolts or cotter pins (for quick detach).

Hazard this way if it doesn't have a break away, you could damn near fillet your leg in a bail out. I realized this and mounted the plate vertically. Just enough to be legal, if you dont shoot your mouth off to a cop you should be ok. And, in a bail out, it's no wider than the fender.

Another way I've seen that is even less legal is to mount the plate vertically UNDER the fender, just above the mud flap. Not visible with mud of course, but it may be just ehough to keep you legal.

Same note as "just enough to be legal" try a dental mirror taped to your hand guard or jammed in your grip. :)

• new2blue

Posted March 05, 2003 - 01:06 PM

This site has one that looks good.
www.tnrdesigns.com

• WR450F_4600FT

Posted March 05, 2003 - 10:25 PM

I run the Baja Designs one. $20 light weight works great.

• beezer

Posted March 06, 2003 - 04:10 AM

New2, that looks good!

And the bucket dosn't look bad either.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted March 06, 2003 - 05:06 AM

Beezer,
I got a license bracket from fourstrokesonly.com. It mounts to the three tail light attaching bolts under the tail light. It's aluminum and is up out of the way.
Jim

• icerider

Posted March 06, 2003 - 05:15 AM

Beezer, I got mine from Baja Designs also, it is alum. and it bolts to your tailight and 2 holes you drill in the rear fender. It seems very tough and I think mine was $35.00 :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 06, 2003 - 07:07 AM

Here's a link to a picture of mine. It cost all of about 2 bucks to make. Use a piece of 3" x 10" 3/32" aluminum plate and bend it to a suitable angle. Drill 3 holes that line up with the bolts holding on the taillight assy. and use the nuts to attach. It has held up very well for me.

• Dodger

Posted March 06, 2003 - 07:24 AM

Check out UFO's YZ style rear fender tail light. Comes with a drop down license plate bracket that can be trimmed to fit the plate, very clean looking, light to illuminate the plate, and no turn signals.

Of course, Iguess I'm not positive if they make them for the 450d's yet.......just and idea.

Late

Dodger :) :D

• beezer

Posted March 06, 2003 - 07:42 AM

Nice job Rich. Lately I have time on my hands. I think I'll make one.

• starttman

Posted March 06, 2003 - 10:57 AM

hey rich i can't see your picture. its like a dark tower with trees around it.

• KiwiThumper

Posted March 06, 2003 - 11:03 AM

Looks like a tree house to me ..

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 06, 2003 - 06:14 PM

Here's a brighter version of it: license plate bracket

• HighPlainsWR

Posted March 07, 2003 - 04:31 AM

Ditto on the Baja Designs. No holes to drill, clean look and according to my local Sherrif's Deputy passes the DMV visual and height test for Colorado.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.