WR ignition switch/ headlight question

5 replies to this topic
  • glennisglenn

Posted April 27, 2009 - 08:18 PM

Ive put a key switch on my bike to make it a bit more secure but Im not sure how to wire it. Its a on off key switch from a electrics shop and I could wire it into the kill switch wires but there is a 6pin socket spare behind the headlight and I was wondering if it should be wired into that.
Also Ive put on a headlight/ blinker switch off another bike and after looking at some other posts realised that there may be a problem having the headlight turned off. Will this cause damage and should I wire it so that the headlight is always turned on.
Also Im not sure about the light in the speedo if it should be wired into the six pin plug also.

• glennisglenn

Posted April 27, 2009 - 08:33 PM

Sorry forgot. My bike is a 1991 WR 426. If someone has a wiring diagram that includes blinkers etc that would help heaps as my manual only has wiring for YZ

• diegox450

Posted April 27, 2009 - 08:36 PM

1991 ? Maybe 2001 ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ww44wrf450f

Posted April 27, 2009 - 10:49 PM

I remeber reading somewhere that a ttr's key switch might plug right into the 4 pin wr's, I have a baja road kit that was installed on my 06wr by the dealer and the key switch is an aftermarket on the kill switch only? The dealer wasn't too familiar with the baja kit and his wiring skills suck and will go over the entire install at some point.(high beam only) and if I put it on low beam the headlight is off and I fined theat the battery is not getting charged? As far as a key switch goes I wish I used the ttr's and it will eliminate the power switch.

• glennisglenn

Posted April 30, 2009 - 10:00 PM

Sorry it is a 2001. I got my new swingarm bearings today so I will be able to start it and test some of the wires with a volt meter, but I'm still not sure if I should have the headlight on all the time as some other posts seem to be sugesting that turning it off can damage the rectifier.

• blueshopsuper

Posted April 30, 2009 - 10:08 PM

Sorry it is a 2001. I got my new swingarm bearings today so I will be able to start it and test some of the wires with a volt meter, but I'm still not sure if I should have the headlight on all the time as some other posts seem to be sugesting that turning it off can damage the rectifier.

My '03 has a switch to turn the head light off. It shouldn't hurt the rectifier because it will be charging the battery when the head light is off.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.