Hot Rod vs. Wiseco vs. OEM?

20 replies to this topic
  • mitchicle

Posted April 27, 2009 - 07:11 PM

I need a new bottom end and i was wondering what your thoughts were. I'm looking for something reliable and relatively affordable. Thanks for your replies.

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2009 - 07:20 PM

I don't see any reason not to use a Genuine Yamaha crank unless I planned to sell the bike.

• mitchicle

Posted April 27, 2009 - 07:20 PM

It's an 03 YZ450 BTW

• 642MX

Posted April 28, 2009 - 08:34 AM

I like Wiseco stuff, but they've had some issues with the cranks (which they are addressing). But, when I did my bottom end, I used OEM stuff.

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2009 - 10:10 AM

Wiseco pistons are a very nice piece of US made machine work, even if they aren't my favorite.

Wiseco cranks are made in China (unless that's being changed)

Hot Rods cranks are made in Taiwan

Yamaha cranks are made in Japan by Yamaha.

• mitchicle

Posted April 28, 2009 - 01:41 PM

I don't see any reason not to use a Genuine Yamaha crank unless I planned to sell the bike.

Why would this change your opinion?

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2009 - 01:47 PM

Why would this change your opinion?

I don't think I understand your question.

• mitchicle

Posted April 28, 2009 - 01:50 PM

You said "I don't see any reason not to use a Genuine Yamaha crank unless I planned to sell the bike."

If you planned to sell the bike what would you use? Why would selling the bike have anything to do with the decision? The fact that OEM is a little more money?

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2009 - 01:55 PM

I should have added "..and regarded saving a few bucks as being more important than what would happen to the new owner", because I essentially don't regard either of the other two options as being at the same level of quality as OEM, and don't trust them to deliver on an "hours of use per dollar spent" basis. Would that have cleared it up some?

• mitchicle

Posted April 28, 2009 - 01:58 PM

A couple reasons why i'm second guessing using OEM is

1. They are notorious for seizing the main bearing in the quad.

2. The cost is about $50-$60 dollars more not including bearings. I'm on a tight budget so every little bit helps.

If the OEM is that much better then i will for sure get it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mitchicle

Posted April 28, 2009 - 01:59 PM

I should have added "..and regarded saving a few bucks as being more important than what would happen to the new owner", because I essentially don't regard either of the other two options as being at the same level of quality as OEM, and don't trust them to deliver on an "hours of use per dollar spent" basis. Would that have cleared it up some?

Yes thank you very much for your reply.

• TIG88

Posted April 28, 2009 - 02:03 PM

A couple reasons why i'm second guessing using OEM is

1. They are notorious for seizing the main bearing in the quad.

2. The cost is about $50-$60 dollars more not including bearings. I'm on a tight budget so every little bit helps.

If the OEM is that much better then i will for sure get it.

The first few years the quads engine was based on the yz engine, but not the same. They changed this in 06 I believe. It is evidentally not an issue with yz's. For peace of mind, I would go OEM.

BTW, how did you realize you needed a bottom end?

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2009 - 02:16 PM

You have an '03. That model year had a slightly smaller big end bearing than any of the subsequent years that followed, and I don't think you can even buy the actual '03 crank anymore. But if in fact they are still available, be sure to get a crank for an '04-'05 instead.

The quad engine had a problem with the wrist pin, as far as I know, and not the main bearing. It was also a substantially different crank assembly, since the early engine that had this problem had a shorter stroke (it was a 439cc, not a 449).

• mitchicle

Posted April 28, 2009 - 03:10 PM

But if in fact they are still available, be sure to get a crank for an '04-'05 instead.

The TT Store has the same part number for all 3 years. Thanks again for your replies.

• TD-3

Posted April 28, 2009 - 03:50 PM

I put a Hot Rods crank assembly in my 03 almost 4 years ago and it is still going strong. In fact, it has lasted longer than the OEM crank did. :banghead:

• justbackitin

Posted April 28, 2009 - 04:51 PM

I was thinking doing a rod kit in my 06 since it has like 25 000 plus street kilometers on it. After some research I am leaning towards the wiseco complete crank kit since it comes with new main bearings and all the gaskets and seals you need to do the job. This way I won't have to rely on an engine shop to work on my crank and it's the easiest on my wallet! (vs all oem, hotrods, falicon etc.)

• JamesNad

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:24 PM

i have used hot rods cranks in my jet ski's and they are nice cranks but the wrist pin bearings were crappy and shattered after like 20 hours, idk if these 4 strokers use wrist pins bearings or what, but i used oem ones

• 642MX

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:27 PM

idk if these 4 strokers use wrist pins bearings or what

YZF's don't use wrist pin bearings. :banghead:

• JamesNad

Posted April 28, 2009 - 06:43 PM

YZF's don't use wrist pin bearings. :banghead:

then that answers that

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2009 - 08:48 PM

After some research ...

Did your research include this item?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=753865

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.