'06 KX450F Clutch???

4 replies to this topic
  • Gunner41

Posted April 27, 2009 - 06:07 AM

I took my '06 KX450F out yesterday for a ride , at a friends track, The track is mostly made of sand. I often ride this track, & the bike is usually great in these conditions.
But yesterday, I was coming out of the sandy turns & the bike is not peforming. When the engine is reving in high rpms, the bike is not actually hooking up, the power is not going to hte back wheel, the motor is reving high & tends to rev high when accelarating, but the bike is not going.
Usually at top rpms the bike is pulling & spitting rocks....hmmm...
A friend mention it may be my clutch slipping. The bikes clutch seems to operate find when starting off & changing gears.
When there is a strain on the bike, its not producing.....

Could it be my clutch?
I do not have any experience with a clutch that is slippin or wornin'

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Tks

• MCL

Posted April 27, 2009 - 10:04 AM

Try it on the pavement,its much easier to notice if the clutch is slipping.It could possibly be a worn/wrong type rear tire that doesnt hook up in the sand.

• 07gixxer600

Posted April 27, 2009 - 10:45 AM

One way I would test with my 2 strokes is put it in a high gear (like top), dead stop and dump the clutch if the revs would hang for a bit it was slipping if it just would die its good. Only thing is with the 450 even in 4th I think it would just take off so im not sure if this would help you or not.

When they start slipping, not always but sometimes the friction point of where the clutch starts engaging is more out at the end of the travel, instead of right around in the middle like these bikes are with a good condition clutch.

• numroe

Posted April 28, 2009 - 02:45 AM

It can only be the clutch or a crappy rear tire.

In 4th, with good traction, it should pull pretty hard from 3000rpm. Any clutch slip before 6000 rpm should be pretty easy to feel. Slip it on purpose if in doubt.

• Gunner41

Posted April 28, 2009 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I took it out last night for a try, it seems to slippin in both 3rd & 4th, on a had packed road.

Its not the tire, same tires I been using for years.

I guess the clutch is coming out tonight for a look.

Tks.

Related Content

Reviews

Kawasaki KX450F 2010 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KX450F 2010
  • 2 reviews
  • Last review by Gr8Dank
  • On February 15, 2014
Forums
Photo

Think I made a big mistake by yz125rider447

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  37 replies
Forums
Photo

Cam tensioner cap bolt... by CincoBoy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX450F
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Texas dirtbike title transfer? by Marksman42

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   South
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 yz450f or 2013 kx450f by yz125rider447

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  61 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.