2002 yz426f coolent leak! please help

4 replies to this topic
  • yzf426f

Posted April 26, 2009 - 10:38 PM

well about a month ago i came off my bike pretty bad so i stored the bike away untill my broken bones healed.today i went out and started the bike when i noticed i was leak coolent when the bike is running.im guessing ive busted a gasket or somethink.but i wanted to see wat you guys think it is,and how much ruthley it will cost to fix.i also was wondering if this could cause alot of damage to my bike.i took a photo for u guys to have a look at.the red arrow is where it is leaking from.sorry if the image is crap quality as i had to use my mobile to take the photo.cheers

http://s622.photobuc...ak.jpg&newest=1

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2009 - 06:21 AM

Water pump. The seals have hardened while sitting. Remove the case cover, replace both seals and inspect the shaft and bearing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf426f

Posted April 27, 2009 - 10:30 AM

ok thankz gray.couple of questions? anything specific i need to know?such as leaning bike over the the left side?and is this easy for some1 who has never done this before? and is there a series of bolts i need to take off or is it a specific compnet?sorry for the newb questions.and if some 1 could proberbly copy the photo and put arrows to the componet i need to take off?i would take it into the shop but they are a rip off and last tym i took it in for a carby cleen they charged to $ 200 for labour and i am pretty strapped for cash.cheers mate

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2009 - 11:19 AM

You will need a manual:

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

or

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

It's a little complicated, but if you are patient and conscientious, you can manage it. the coolant has to be drained, and either the oil has to be drained or the bike laid down. The whole right side cover is then removed.

• gator4life108

Posted April 27, 2009 - 06:11 PM

ok thankz gray.couple of questions? anything specific i need to know?such as leaning bike over the the left side?and is this easy for some1 who has never done this before? and is there a series of bolts i need to take off or is it a specific compnet?sorry for the newb questions.and if some 1 could proberbly copy the photo and put arrows to the componet i need to take off?i would take it into the shop but they are a rip off and last tym i took it in for a carby cleen they charged to $ 200 for labour and i am pretty strapped for cash.cheers mate

I just did mine and being my first time it was really easy. I would recommend buying
-Side Cover Gasket
-Seals
-Impeller Shaft
-Bearing

Save yourself the hassle and buy everything while your in there.....

First off, I would drain the oil, just in case the coolant seeped into the oil.

-Remove header, all hoses leading to water pump, release rear brake.

-Then undo all side cover bolts( i believe they are 8mm)

- One the side cover is off use a 12 mm on the impeller and a 13mm(?) on the other side, that should loosen em.

My biggest pointer is to make sure the seals(the flat part of the seals face each other).

It does seem a little scary at first but once you do it, its pretty easy. Let me know if you need any other help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.