Slowest crash yet = Most damage yet.

8 replies to this topic
  • dacon1

Posted April 26, 2009 - 05:23 PM

I rarely post, but I thought I'd share tonight.

I have a 2001 Yz426... its entirely over geared for the trails atm (15t/48t) but I was too lazy / cheap to change it. Doesn't help im not much of a rider to ride a machine like that :banghead:

Well in a trail today, the bike bumped against a stump on the left, bounced off a tree on hte right, and came to rest on a log (on its left side). Was just putting along in first, maybe 10mph.

Picked it up, the damage was incredible for a low speed crash (I've crashed it at 40mph with no damage, and hte bike tumbled!). Clutch perk was sheared completely in half, front rotor was warped / curved badly (enough to move my caliper around as it rotated), and worst of all, it sent my shift lever THROUGH my stator cover :banghead: A whole about the size of a quater, and boy did it leak oil till I realized what happened and killed the engine.

Well, another 2 week break for me, time to get some parts. And fish out the part of the cover thats now probably floating inside it.

• 426 NOOB

Posted April 26, 2009 - 05:29 PM

I rarely post, but I thought I'd share tonight.

I have a 2001 Yz426... its entirely over geared for the trails atm (15t/48t) but I was too lazy / cheap to change it. Doesn't help im not much of a rider to ride a machine like that :banghead:

Well in a trail today, the bike bumped against a stump on the left, bounced off a tree on hte right, and came to rest on a log (on its left side). Was just putting along in first, maybe 10mph.

Picked it up, the damage was incredible for a low speed crash (I've crashed it at 40mph with no damage, and hte bike tumbled!). Clutch perk was sheared completely in half, front rotor was warped / curved badly (enough to move my caliper around as it rotated), and worst of all, it sent my shift lever THROUGH my stator cover :banghead: A whole about the size of a quater, and boy did it leak oil till I realized what happened and killed the engine.

Well, another 2 week break for me, time to get some parts. And fish out the part of the cover thats now probably floating inside it.

oh wow, sorry to hear this. Sometimes crash damages can be surprising, but this is about the worst Ive heard of for just 10 mph.

• dacon1

Posted April 26, 2009 - 06:06 PM

Here's the one i'm concerned about. I hate playing in oil.

Posted Image

• 426 NOOB

Posted April 26, 2009 - 06:30 PM

Here's the one i'm concerned about. I hate playing in oil.

Posted Image

oh man, that sucks bad, it is definitely gonna need to be pulled apart and cleaned with a new cover.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Timberwolf72

Posted April 08, 2010 - 06:43 AM

Ya thats too bad man, I've put the kick stand down before and the bike sunk in the mud and broke the perch but nothing like that.

• Polar_Bus

Posted April 08, 2010 - 07:46 AM

I feel for ya' bro, back in '03 I was just goofing around on my local MX track with my WR250F, and washed out and low sided in a water trenched rutted berm. The 15 mph low side cost me $350 from a bent leaking rad, and a snapped clutch lever,

(now I have rad guards on my '07 450)

• cbrewer450

Posted April 08, 2010 - 08:18 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I totaled a CBR954RR at 10-15 mph.. Leaving for work in the cold, started out on our main road and high sided.. Cold tires just brought the back end around. Destroyed the left side of the engine. Depressing!!!

• Valkrider15

Posted April 08, 2010 - 08:22 AM

I had my Husky just fall over off the kickstand and it pushed the shifter through the side case :lol: The magnezium is light but pretty fragile. When I replaced the cover I went with Billet Aluminum. Much less to worry about now. :thumbsup:

• Polar_Bus

Posted April 08, 2010 - 08:29 AM

I had my Husky just fall over off the kickstand :

You sure it wasn't you're disgruntled ex-wife/ girlfriend who gave your bike a good boot? :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.