Fork guard bolt size ?

10 replies to this topic
  • dacon1

Posted April 26, 2009 - 05:11 PM

I've searched my manual, and I can't find any information.

What size bolt holds the front fork protectors in place ? I know its a 8mm head, but if I go into a dealership / supply store, why length / numbers do I need to know ?

* edit *

Found this - M6x1.0... hopefully that will be enough information to get them.

• Todddob

Posted April 26, 2009 - 05:37 PM

If you go to a Yamaha dealership they have pictures of complete breakdown of all the bikes. Then you can order any bolts. It might cost you 5 bucks but then your bolt matches the others perfect.

• dacon1

Posted April 26, 2009 - 05:39 PM

I guess I should just go to the dealership rather than being cheap... it just seems like the local Yammy dealership puts sand in the vaseline before they screw me. Thanks for the help.

• 426 NOOB

Posted April 26, 2009 - 05:44 PM

I've searched my manual, and I can't find any information.

What size bolt holds the front fork protectors in place ? I know its a 8mm head, but if I go into a dealership / supply store, why length / numbers do I need to know ?

* edit *

Found this - M6x1.0... hopefully that will be enough information to get them.

I would just go to the dealership and order the right bolt the part number is PN:3SP-23356-L0-00 and it only costs $2.94 this way they match.

• Todddob

Posted April 26, 2009 - 05:45 PM

I guess I should just go to the dealership rather than being cheap... it just seems like the local Yammy dealership puts sand in the vaseline before they screw me. Thanks for the help.

At least they use vaseline :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted April 26, 2009 - 08:36 PM

lol, the sad part that its true. just payed 90 bucks for 2 bearings and seals for my quad axle.

• dacon1

Posted April 26, 2009 - 08:43 PM

lol, the sad part that its true. just payed 90 bucks for 2 bearings and seals for my quad axle.

I know of a way to dodge buying bearings from manufacturers... find the product number you need, get the specs for the bearing, go to a local bearing shop (hit up the local phone book). They beat the dealerships by around 50% around here. Real easy to find / deal with as well.

• husqy360

Posted April 26, 2009 - 11:13 PM

I know of a way to dodge buying bearings from manufacturers... find the product number you need, get the specs for the bearing, go to a local bearing shop (hit up the local phone book). They beat the dealerships by around 50% around here. Real easy to find / deal with as well.

i did get cheap bearings for the front wheels from ebay.
almost got a whole set for about 90 bucks on ebay, but from what i hear original bearings cant be beat. but im new to this stuff and couldnt find the size, where can i find the sizes?

check this out Posted Image :banghead: :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2009 - 06:35 AM

Sizes per se are not marked on the bearing. The bearing will, however, show the manufacturer's name (NSF, etc.) and a bearing catalog number. That number can be used to cross reference a replacement in most cases, however sometimes Yamaha and others will use a custom sized bearing, and quite often these can only be purchased through Yamaha. Worth a try, though.

The numbers will appear on the sides of the bearing races.

• husqy360

Posted April 28, 2009 - 11:08 PM

Sizes per se are not marked on the bearing. The bearing will, however, show the manufacturer's name (NSF, etc.) and a bearing catalog number. That number can be used to cross reference a replacement in most cases, however sometimes Yamaha and others will use a custom sized bearing, and quite often these can only be purchased through Yamaha. Worth a try, though.

The numbers will appear on the sides of the bearing races.

so oem or cheap 5 bucks bearing?

oem!!!!!! "unless you im going to sale it soon"

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2009 - 05:28 AM

It's not always as simple as that. Bearing supply houses have standard sized bearings in all quality levels. Usually, if they have the bearing size available, they can get it for you made by a first tier manufacturer, in a quality level at or superior to Yamaha OEM for less money than OEM retail. You just have to ask.

It is true, however, that the "kit bearings" you see hanging on the wall in the parts department are usually not as good as OEM bearing grades.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.