release air in forks?

5 replies to this topic
  • ronco

Posted August 27, 2002 - 05:28 AM

I have heard you can let air out of your forks that build up during a ride, an earlier bike RM would allow this through a bleed screw on top of the fork cap, does the 99 WR have a way to do this I could not find it mentioned in the manual?
thanks for any help

• yznvegas

Posted August 27, 2002 - 05:31 AM

On the yz there is a flat head screw on top of each fork. Just take all of the pressure off of the forks and crack those bleeder screws. You will extend the life of your seals that way.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 27, 2002 - 06:35 AM

you can also buy bleader screw kits for your forks. Rockymountain sells them. they are pretty inexpensive.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MOmilkman

Posted August 27, 2002 - 06:51 AM

White Brothers makes them.

I have them in my fork caps, although I had to have my machinist buddy drill and tap the holes before they would screw in.

I think they make them now so they just screw in and you dont have to drill/tap.

• Dougie

Posted August 27, 2002 - 09:45 PM

Make sure your forks are extended off the ground. Put the bike on a stand and unscrew the bleed screws. You'll here a small hiss and then screw them back on. This should be done before every ride.

• MOmilkman

Posted August 28, 2002 - 03:25 AM

ronco,
I snapped some quick pics in case you want to see what they look like installed.
Posted Image
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.