Surging after new clutch plates

6 replies to this topic
  • davbrucas

Posted April 26, 2009 - 06:51 AM

2008 YZ450F...ran fine before change without issues...just changed them as preventative maintenance. Use OEM stuff only. Basket has the usual grooves. All metal plates placed wit sharp edge down. Now bike surges while in gear and wont go into neutral while running...obviously not disengaging. Adjusted completely without success...any ideas? I am guessing the thicker, new plates are not fitting in the basket the same and are not completely disengaging. Thanks for the input.

• rexbond007

Posted April 26, 2009 - 06:57 AM

i'ts sounds like your missing a plate or fiction ring

• davbrucas

Posted April 26, 2009 - 08:45 PM

I am not missing any plates. I know that for sure. But thanks for the input.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2009 - 09:08 PM

I am guessing the thicker, new plates are not fitting in the basket the same and are not completely disengaging. Thanks for the input.

If the notching is significant, you're probably right. Also, don't overlook the possibility of this same condition occurring with the boss (hub) also. Fortunately, the OEM clutch bosses are fairly inexpensive. If the cushioning unit in your primary driven gear is in good shape, the aftemarket baskets are both less expensive and more durable than the OEM assembly.

We had a 250F with a drag condition both before and after new plates. The Hinson basket cleared it up.

• yam 3

Posted April 27, 2009 - 02:14 PM

Sharp edges supposed to be up or down??? I think i put mine up, and I am having wierd freeplay issues; I get lots of play when riding, then it goes away after cooling off? Any ideas what is causing this? OEM plates btw.

• DirtPipeRider

Posted May 06, 2009 - 06:32 PM

Thats usually caused by the stack being too high, i had the same problem when i first got my yzf, i found when she was warm she would surge forward a little when i revved her with the clutch in and half the time i would have to kill the engine to put her in neutral. So i had a look and found my stack height was over. Check in your manual for min/max heights, whip out your plates and measure them bearing in mind even a very small amount will cause drag. Also check your spring free length and maybe use heavier duty springs. Failing that check for excessive scoring of your basket, inner hub and pressure plate. i would be supprised if its none of these things.
i hope this helps.

• davbrucas

Posted May 09, 2009 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the input...it was the outer basket groves that was causing the problem.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.