Gas Mileage on an XR650R

6 replies to this topic
  • XR954

Posted March 04, 2003 - 06:32 PM

Hello all! New to this site and New to the XR Scene. I just picked up my new XR650R last Monday and already performed the Power up kit. I've also bought the Street Kit so I'm looking forward to some fun with this guy. Anyhow, what is the Gas Mileage should I get out of a Tank? Normal riding ok, 100-120 Miles maybe? It's only got 12 as of now. Thanks for your response.

• smashinz2002

Posted March 04, 2003 - 06:44 PM

HI! Welcome to the XR scene! I've had my '00 XR650R for about a year now, got it used in great shape. Anyway, with the stock fuel tank, and with the power-up kit installed, you can expect about 50 miles per tank, which is anywhere from 19-21mpg.. pretty terrible, but you'll get used to it!
To me, the incredible power output is worth it. You can get larger tanks, but I think they look kind of odd, and opted to keep the stock tank, since, believe me, the XR650R is not very comfy for really long street rides. Keep in mind this is the mileage I get WITH THE POWER-UP KIT INSTALLED. I don't know what it gets stock, since it already had the kit when I bought it.

• XR954

Posted March 04, 2003 - 07:36 PM

Thanks a lot. Man Ohh Man!! 19-21 MPG? And maybe 50 miles before having to find the next gas station? I was expecting like 40 MPG at least!! OHHH Crraaap. Damnnnnnn. I'm going to return it!!! JK!! I don't know about the bigger tanks either and just like you, I installed the power up kit immediately. It had like 1.3 miles when I was installing and yanking all that epa crap. Anyhow, I think it's gonna be a lot of fun with this XR. It's plenty fast for sure and the suspension is sooo smooooth not like my 954 that Jars the crap out of my brains on the local freeway. :-)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR/CRDave

Posted March 04, 2003 - 08:31 PM

Though I have never sat down and calculated the mileage, just from estimating I would say 19-21 mpg would occur when the bike is ridden wide open most of the time. If you are dual sporting you could expect at least 28 mpg. I have 2 tanks, stock for local rides and the IMS 4.6 for mexico.

• dudenstumpy

Posted March 04, 2003 - 09:30 PM

In 3 years of owning my xr650r I have had a range of
44mpg ( 90 mph on road ) to 69 mpg ( gentle trailriding
due to fuel strikes, 15/41 gearing ). Although these are
for imperial gallons, I think that to get around 21 mp
'merican gallon I would need to ride the freeway flat out
in second gear.

cheers, Craig

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted March 05, 2003 - 01:49 PM

Get yourself a Clarke 4.3 gallon tank. Fits like a oem tank. Looks like an oem tank. You can get 100-120 miles on it. :)

• XR954

Posted March 05, 2003 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for sharing the information fellas!!! So now we know that we have a Wild Texan riding balls out all the time :) Just playing smash :D

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.