trail ride manners

14 replies to this topic
  • Cosmo

Posted March 04, 2003 - 04:05 PM

I went trailriding with some friends Sunday. from the start a couple of the riders were having a tough time.I hadn't ridden with them before so I wasn't sure of their ability.Well, through out the ride they struggled. I fell back and rode the tail end with them.Their buddy who brought them (also leading the ride) said to" forget about them,they'll catch up". Etc.,Etc.,A couple of times I had to dump my bike to help 'em out of tight spots.The "leader" and the guy I usually ride with thought I should have have left them and rode on with the group. What is youir opinion??

• Dutch

Posted March 04, 2003 - 04:21 PM

Were you born with the skills to go fast on your bike? Was there a time in the past that someone helped you in a tough situation? Ever been trapped under a hot motorcycle? Dripping gas? Every time I have found myself in the situation you described, I'm paying back all the generous riders who looked after me. The thought of someone riding in my group getting hurt and having to wait for somebody to find them - no way.

• loufish

Posted March 04, 2003 - 06:10 PM

You NEVER leave stranded/slower riders behind...( I mean not waiting up at some interval)We ride with groups that sometimes include riders of lesser ability, and I ride "sweep" many times, the faster cats up front can let it hang out, and know that I will keep an eye out for the guys behind, and not have to worry about me. They will pull over and wait, and as soon as they see the sweep rider, will take off again. I'm not the fastest guy in our group, but I'm no slouch either, and if I need to get help, I can wick it on also...
I've got new guys riding, and they love it, but if some of the group heads on out, and never waits, the fast pace can get new guys hurt, or dis-interested, thats not good for them, or our sport.

• smashinz2002

Posted March 04, 2003 - 06:50 PM

If you are a faster rider than others in your riding group, you should stop and take a break every few minutes, and let them catch up. These are the trail manners that I was taught years ago, and it's just common courtesy really.

• mash

Posted March 04, 2003 - 11:12 PM

Better to let people ride at their own "safe" pace and wait at the next gate or convenient spot than to wait for the ambulance. :smirk:We always wait at the next stop until everyone is there and then we get going or backtrack to find/help straglers, its important to ride safe, its along way between towns where I am.

• Chorbelt

Posted March 05, 2003 - 04:36 AM

I think if you choose to go riding with a group, you stay riding as a group. This doesn't necessarily mean at the same pace, but waiting at gates, forks, after a particularily hard section, for everyone to regroup. I've taken a buddy of mines kid (on and XR100) and had to go slower, and stop more often than we normally would have, but by bringing him along, we knew that we would have to take it easy. Before you ever get on the trail, I think everyone should get on the same page with regard to what your expectations are. There's nothing wrong with having two groups ride differnt routes and meet up at the end of the day, but that should be settled on beforehand, not when you get going and find out some riders are too slow for your taste.

• Danco

Posted March 05, 2003 - 06:35 AM

We do this all the time snowmobiling. Sometimes we have 15 plus riders in our group. With all the interconnecting trails it's very difficult to keep everyone together but we do. I usually lead because I know the trails. I set the pace but when I get to a trail that I know has no cut offs or cross tracks I'll wave the faster riders ahead to tear it up. They know to wait at the end. My brother in-law always rides sweep. We have wives, and kids in the group and our rule is NO ONE rides over their heads. As leader I stop and we wait at every cross trail where someone spaced apart can make a mistake and get lost. The key to riding in a group no matter bikes or sleds it for everyone to know the plan. Talk about it before you leave and you'll have no problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted March 09, 2003 - 03:57 AM

It also helps to count how many ridders you have. Usually only neccessary in a large group. Its easy to overlook one person when ridding with 15 people.

• gottaroost

Posted March 13, 2003 - 06:02 PM

It is really good to communicate up front...now on occasion we have met a couple of extra riders while out on the course and have experienced them tagging along for a while then suddenly sneaking off at some undisclosed point. Anymore we make sure to introduce ourselves and air our expectations of riding as a group.

• Moredesert

Posted March 13, 2003 - 08:27 PM

It's my nature to look after slower riders but at times I like to go fast too. When I ride with groups of riders I follow a couple of rules.

First, who's buddies are they. If I invited them than I ride with them. If there guest of someone else than it's there bagage to deal with unless there is a real problem. I always try to keep the group together or meet at a place if we split up.

My problem is I'm use to riding last and fixing broken bikes so it's hard for me to ride with big groups and keep on going. Prime example: Last week end I rode in the Wild Bore Enduro. I must have stopped at every broke down bike I saw seeing if I could help. At one point I was stuck in a water crossing at the bottom of this hill. I got out then ended up helping three other people out. I rode this guys XR400 out because he was spent and couldn't do it. I lost 1/2 hour because of it at the next check point. Most people being that it's a race would keep on going but I had to stop and see if everything was OK. I guess I put myself in thier place and act on it.

• Serpexc

Posted March 14, 2003 - 07:47 AM

Saint Moredesert! Mike has helped me a couple of times, when I'm spent, and I definitely appreciated it. I look out for the slow guys and ride sweep also, but I think you should take shifts on sweep, so everyone gets a chance to blast. Some groups I've ridden with, the leader pulls off and goes to the back of the pack every few miles, kind of like a round robin so everyone eats some dust. I don't like to lead, but I like to follow one or two fast guys at the front, and let them set a pace, plus I get to see what's coming by watching them crash. :)

• qcustom

Posted March 14, 2003 - 02:56 PM

I ride with a group so someone other then you knows that something is wrong and knows about were your at to look for you at stops in the trail. If the group isn't keeping a eye on each other then you may as well be riding alone.

• gabriel

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:12 AM

this reminds me of riding with people who are on quads...constant waiting. :thumbsdn:

• jonr3

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:55 AM

When we would pre-run for SCORE races (when I lived in SoCal) there were always those that couldn't go as fast due to lack of experience or equipment. We would always pick a spot in the distance (not too far) and say we would meet there. That way, those of us that wanted to, could really open it up and the others could go at their own pace. If they didn't show up after a few minutes, we would go back and find them. We also started carrying radios or those long-range walkie talkies for instant alerts or problems.

It seemed to work well. The slower ones didn't feel pressured to push themselves or their equipment and the faster ones didn't feel pressured to have to go slow.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 27, 2007 - 08:01 AM

If you never stop to help, you'll never get those spode photos!!!

(We're all spodes, BTW)

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.