2004 YZ 450 idle problem

5 replies to this topic
  • gorgev

Posted April 24, 2009 - 06:00 PM

bought bike used, not ridden much, could not get to idle, idles ok sometimes, then sometimes revs higher, like on a fast idle. bike backfires too. And when riding if i press the clutch the engine turns off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• wondermuscle

Posted April 28, 2009 - 06:54 AM

Interesting...... Pulling in the clutch kills the motor that wants to idle high.

First I would check the idle circuit and verify that the pilot jet is not partially clogged. It may also be too small and starving for fuel.

Report back what you find with the pilot and we can go from there.

• gorgev

Posted April 28, 2009 - 06:01 PM

Thanx for the post. I cleaned the carb today and still the same. I will order new pilot jet tomorrow. What do you think about getting the JD Jetting kit? Will it help me? And sorry for my bad english :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2009 - 08:30 PM

Before you buy the jet kit, check the valve clearances.

• gorgev

Posted April 29, 2009 - 12:13 PM

I think that the valve clearances aro ok couse I changed the valves two months ago because they got damaged for some reason. I could not find any jets around so now I will have to wait a week or two :banghead:

• gorgev

Posted April 29, 2009 - 12:16 PM

And the bike had the same problems before the change of the valves. And the thing is there is no good mechanic around to fix my bike :banghead:

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.