'01 WR426F Water pump - Help please

5 replies to this topic
  • RonWoodbeck

Posted April 24, 2009 - 05:49 PM

Got the bike started after sitting for a couple months after rebuilding the carb. After 20 minutes of idle, the bike overheated. I pulled the water pump cover and am trying to figure out how to rebuild the pump, impeller, shaft, bearings, seals, etc.

Any links to procedure on this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

• Dee Perry

Posted April 27, 2009 - 04:51 PM

Are you sure you need to tear into the water pump? These bikes will NOT sit and idle for 20 minutes without overheating. I am lucky to get 4-5 out of mine. If you do not have a manual do a search on downloadable manuals and they will help.

• gator4life108

Posted April 27, 2009 - 06:14 PM

Got the bike started after sitting for a couple months after rebuilding the carb. After 20 minutes of idle, the bike overheated. I pulled the water pump cover and am trying to figure out how to rebuild the pump, impeller, shaft, bearings, seals, etc.

Any links to procedure on this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

I just did mine and being my first time it was really easy. I would recommend buying
-Side Cover Gasket
-Seals
-Impeller Shaft
-Bearing

Save yourself the hassle and buy everything while your in there.....

First off, I would drain the oil, just in case the coolant seeped into the oil.

-Remove header, all hoses leading to water pump, release rear brake.

-Then undo all side cover bolts( i believe they are 8mm)

- One the side cover is off use a 12 mm on the impeller and a 13mm(?) on the other side, that should loosen em.

My biggest pointer is to make sure the seals(the flat part of the seals face each other).

It does seem a little scary at first but once you do it, its pretty easy. Let me know if you need any other help.

As to the other post, might as well rebuild while you can, this is a common problem on the yammies

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted April 28, 2009 - 03:54 AM

Stop idling it more than 2 minutes and you'll be fine - there is nothing wrong with your water pump......

• jandmsuburban7

Posted April 29, 2009 - 08:49 AM

I had the same issue but mine was even during slow speeds while training my little ones I would basically be keeping the bike at idle or under 10 mph. I burned out my shaft and seals but only replaced my water seal and placed it in an ungrooved place without changing the shaft. I then used "ENGINE ICE". That was approximately 800 miles ago. My bike doesnt spit up fluid, nor does it pee out of the weep whole, nor does it get so hot I want to get off of it from the engine heat. What a compliment for Engine Ice. I am not even getting paid for it. Engine Ice is a great product. Jason

• RonWoodbeck

Posted May 20, 2009 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the help. Took a little while to get the parts in hand. But all in all went pretty smooth. The broken part of the shaft fell through however and we had to pull the opposite side cover off and fish it out with a magnetic pickup tool. But we found it and it works like a charm.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.