XR650L Cam Chain Tensioner

1 reply to this topic
  • jeffdunst

Posted April 24, 2009 - 12:13 PM

Hey Guys,

I've got a '94 XR650L and it's got this weird clack in the engine after it warms up. I'm told it's an issue with the Cam Chain Tensioner. So my question is, since the tensioner function seems pretty straight forward, could it have just been installed improperly, leading to a lack of tension? Or could it have been installed properly and there is a secondary issue that could cause slack in the chain? I was told by our local mechanic that it could cost up to a thousand bucks to have fixed, because the whole engine would have to be taken apart, but from the looks of things here it seems that that wouldn't be necessary. Or could it be? What other aspects of the chain system could it be? Of course would rather do the work myself, but am slightly reluctant to jump into it without a little better understanding of what's going on down there. Also what's the deal with automatic vs. manual tensioners, and is one available for my ride?

Thanks,

- j

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 24, 2009 - 01:00 PM

I think it can be replaced (along with the cam chain) by pulling the top cover, and the clutch cover.

The top cover can be removed with the engine in the frame, but it takes some finagling and loosening/removal of some of the engine bolts.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

&%$#@!ing XR650R manual ... by carlgustav

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

85 xr600r camshaft bearing journals by Taylorross

• Hot  56 replies
Forums
Photo

Is this rod shot? 87 xr600r refresh by goneballistic

• Hot  136 replies
Forums
Photo

FMF Powerbomb vs HiFlo Headers by jevon.pearse

• 18 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650R ONLY by jska2636

• Hot  77 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.