Changing a tire

10 replies to this topic
  • tk421

Posted August 26, 2002 - 06:41 PM

I would like to learn how to change a motorcycle tire but haven’t a clue how to do it. To those people who can:
What tools do you need?
Where did you buy your tire changing tools?
And how do you change a tire?
Sorry about all the questions! :)

• MOmilkman

Posted August 27, 2002 - 03:24 AM

Back when TT first started there was a very popular post on this subject and TTmembers gave some great advice.

Ive kept this link around just for such a question:
http://www.thumperta...ire_change.html

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 27, 2002 - 06:47 AM

Next well teach ya how to change studded tires without maiming your hands/arms/legs on the ice screws.

• BrandonW

Posted August 27, 2002 - 12:05 PM

One of the most helpful tips that I have received regarding tire changing is to make sure that the tire is warmed up. When you start your tire changing process, take your new tire and place the barrel end of a hair dryer into it, and let that thing start warming it up. By the time that you are ready to mount the new rubber, it will be plyable, which will make your life much easier.

That, and invest in some tire irons. They are cheap, and a pinched tube is a real bummer.

Brandon

• The_Missile

Posted August 28, 2002 - 02:02 AM

First time is tricky even with instructions. Just take it easy, bit by bit and be methodical.

A couple of frustration saving tips....

Most people remove the rim locks. I don't as I hate trying to guess where the damn hole is from the inside. I just loosen them up to the max and push them into the tire. This degrips them and allows you to fit the bead in again with the rim locks still installed. Just tighten and ride !!

I install the valve stem from the new (or old) tube before the rim even approaches the new tire. I just poke the valve stem through the hole in the rim and turn the nut a few times to hold it in position - I hate to have to jigger around trying to locate the valve hole from the inside. my hands dont fit inbetween the rim & bead. I then carefully manoeuver the slightly preinflated tube into the tire (valve area first) and start with the first side of the bead ensuring the rim lock is in the correct position. As you reassemble, the rim locks are easy to position and you can use the tire irons to lift the bead over the rim lock if it doesnt fit right first time.

Plenty of WD40 works well for me, saves knocking over & breaking the bowl you "borrowed" from the kitchen for the water & soap.

Whatever you do, wear leather gloves and watch out for angry tire irons flipping up into your face. Nothing worse then slippery sweaty hands and an eager tire iron!

Worst damn tire I ever mounted was was a Michelin Sirac. Almost impossible to fit on my 19 inch rim. I really didnt think I was going to make it but after much swearing, grunting & sweating it finally popped on. Worst thing was I had to put it on to pass a tech inspection and took it off the very next day.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Merfman

Posted August 28, 2002 - 03:37 AM

You can also lay the tire on top of a hot car engine, and close the hood. Warms 'em right up.

Merf

• keith

Posted August 28, 2002 - 09:00 PM

there is a paint dot on the sidewall of the tire, it is a balance mark, is it supposed to line up with the stem or the rimlock?

• tk421

Posted August 28, 2002 - 11:14 AM

WOW! Thanks for link, tips, and instruction guys.

• MN

Posted August 30, 2002 - 08:47 AM

I concur with the rest of this feedback, ie. heat and lubrication, with one variation. I'll probably get "flamed" for this, but I use Crisco vegetable shortening. That's right, I grease up the tire bead and the tube. Almost guaranteed too not pop a tube and the Crisco seems to absorb into the rubber within minutes. No problems with the tire rotating on the rim to date on my WR 426. Not sure what that stuff might do to the rubber compounds, but it works - slick.

• mash

Posted August 30, 2002 - 09:56 PM

My mate uses veg oil on the tire, not the tube though, dont know if it will rot the tube, he has had no problems. I have switched to useing baby powder on the tire beads and on the tube, works a treat and you smell nice after. Im told rim protectors help, im gonna try some.Nice tip on not removing rim lock, im gonna give that ago aswell and save on skin wear!

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted August 30, 2002 - 03:13 PM

When putting on the new tire, put it on so it straddles the rim, i.e., each bead is outside the rim. Then the wheel will push down in the tire far enough that putting the tube in is way easier.

mwc

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.