How well do Black Excel Rims hold up in sand?

5 replies to this topic
  • YZRider3087

Posted April 24, 2009 - 08:32 AM

i have an 08 yz450 that i have ridden only a handful of times at the dunes, by the end of the first day the rear wheel looked trashed and is now dull and ugly.... i want to invest in some new rims and was thinking abou tgoing with black excels. how well will they hold up to riding in the dunes? im assuming that the out come will be the same no matter what color wheels i run, simply because sand is not friendly to finished surfaces...?

• DRX350

Posted April 24, 2009 - 08:34 AM

They're pretty good, but maybe after a couple of years they show a little wear, its powder coat, so it's fairly impervious to the elements.

• wondermuscle

Posted April 24, 2009 - 09:23 AM

They're pretty good, but maybe after a couple of years they show a little wear, its powder coat, so it's fairly impervious to the elements.

The rims are actually annodized not power coated. I have had black rims since 07 and they are showing their wear. They also have about 4500miles on them including half of the 2007 baja 1000 and many District 38 races.

They will dull a bit in the dunes as the sand diminishes the shine. But with some rubbing and the right polish you can get them looking nice again. Be careful when you change out tires as the rims you see the nicks from the tire irons. If you care. I don't really care what they look like as long as they aren't cracked or too bent.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz007f

Posted April 24, 2009 - 02:58 PM

You will notice that on the edge of the rim you will get a spot all the way around that is polished off mostly on the back rim.

• FinchFan194

Posted April 24, 2009 - 08:03 PM

You will notice that on the edge of the rim you will get a spot all the way around that is polished off mostly on the back rim.

Like mine! They are starting to show some serious wear.
Posted Image

• FinchFan194

Posted April 24, 2009 - 08:04 PM

They ALL look the same after half a lap though!!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.